Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
These bite-size, cheesy sausage stuffed mushrooms are perfect for a party appetizer or a side dish! This fancy, yet easy starter will have your guests coming back for more!
When we entertain I love to have a variety of appetizers to serve! These sausage and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms, along with our Mini pretzel dogs and Smoked bacon ranch cheese ball are some of my most favorite and easiest appetizers!
Sausage and Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
I’ve gotta be honest. Holiday parties are my favorite. Lots of friends and family, festive music, gift-giving and of course, FOOD!
These bite-size appetizers are easy, delicious and perfect for special occasions. They only take a few minutes to prep and the rest is done in the oven. Even mushroom haters love these cheesy sausage stuffed mushrooms.
For this recipe (and most that involve mushrooms on LMS) I used cremini mushrooms. They’re similar to baby bellas. If you have trouble finding them you can always use white mushrooms.
I also like to use hot Italian sausage because it has just the right amount of spice to give these mushrooms a very small kick. However, you can use a milder type of sausage if you prefer.
How to Make Stuffed Mushrooms
Begin by wiping the mushrooms with a wet paper towel to wipe off any excess dirt.
Then remove the stems by pressing your thumb against the side of the stem. It should just pop out and then make sure to scoop out the brown gills before filling them!
Place the mushrooms on the standard baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and then transfer to a medium-size mixing bowl.
Add your finely chopped mushrooms to your skillet and saute until tender. Then add your onion and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
Pour wine or chicken stock to the pan to deglaze it and cook until the wine/broth has almost completely reduced. Then transfer to the bowl with the sausage.
Add cream cheese, egg yolk, panko, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, pepper, and 1 tablespoon parsley. Mix to combine.
Spoon mixture into the center of the mushrooms, pressing slightly. Add a little extra to create a mound on top of the mushroom.
Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before sprinkling the tops with the remaining parsley. Serve immediately.
Storing Tips + Tricks
You can easily prep these a day in advance and keep them refrigerated until you’re ready to bake them.
Or you can prep up to 3 months in advance. After you prep them leave them on a tray in the freezer until they are set. Once they are set you can transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or Tupperware container to keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you have leftovers, which is rare! Store them in your refrigerator in an airtight container for 3-4 days. When you are ready to enjoy them, just pop them in the microwave until they are warmed through.
One last suggestion for you. SERVE THEM HOT! These mushrooms should be served straight from the oven. You want the cheese to be gooey and the sausage to be nice and warm. Trust me! Serve these at your next gathering and they’ll be gone in seconds, I promise!
For more appetizers check out:
- Sausage Mushroom Spinach Pasta Red Pepper Sauce
- Dangerously Good Deviled Eggs
- 30-Minute Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Fresh Bruschetta
- Slow-Cooker Grape Jelly Meatballs
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- 24 cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 lb hot Italian ground sausage
- 1/4 cup yellow onion - finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh minced parsley - divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard size baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, cook sausage, crumbling as it browns. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a medium mixing bowl.
- Finely chop 6 mushrooms. Add to skillet with the sausage grease and saute until tender, about 3 minutes, then add the onion and garlic. Continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes. Slowly pour in wine to deglaze the pan. Using a whisk, scrape up all of the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Allow the wine to reduce almost completely. Transfer to the mixing bowl with the sausage.
- Add cream cheese, egg yolk, panko, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, pepper, and 1 tablespoon parsley. Mix to combine.
- Spoon mixture into the center of the mushrooms, pressing slightly. Add a little extra to create a mound on top of the mushroom.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before sprinkling the tops with the remaining parsley. Serve immediately.