Mini Pretzel Dogs
These mini pretzel dogs are boiled and baked to perfection! They’re perfect for parties or any day that ends with a y! ????????
Please tell me I’m not the only one who grew up eating pigs in a blanket?! These are a grown-up version of my childhood favorite… made with a thick, crusty pretzel dough and topped with a sprinkle of sea salt. They’re little bites of heaven ????
I’ve always had a thing for homemade soft pretzels. But this time around I wanted to make something extra special with them, something even my husband would love (he’s not a huge fan of just plain ‘ole pretzels). So I decided to do the whole pretzel hot dog combo. Believe it or not, I’ve actually never had a pretzel hot dog before… this was uncharted territory for me!! Thankfully everything came together really easily. These turned out great and will definitely go on our must-make party food list.
If you’re looking for a tasty little appetizer or a game day snack, you’ve gotta try these yummy mini pretzel dogs. Everyone will go wild for them!!
Mini Pretzel Dogs Recipe
For the Dough
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 2 tbsp butter - melted
- 3/4 cup water - lukewarm (110 degrees F)
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 8 hot dogs - cut in half
- 1 large egg - +1 tbsp water
- kosher sea salt - for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, yeast and salt on low for 30 seconds. Add the melted butter and water, mix just until a soft dough forms. Switch to the dough hook and knead on low for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl and cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap. TURN THE OVEN OFF and place in the oven to rise for 1 hour.
- Fill a large stock pot about 2/3 full of water and place on stovetop. Add the baking soda and bring to a boil. While the water is coming to a boil, divide the dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll it out with a rolling pin or use your hands to create a rectangle. Wrap around each half and pinch at the bottom. Make sure that it's sealed together well so that it doesn't come undone while it boils or bakes.
- Turn oven on to 425 degrees.
- Put the dogs into the boiling water (4 at a time) for 30 seconds, then transfer them onto a baking sheet lined with baking mats or buttered parchment.
- Beat the egg and the water in a small mixing bowl and brush over the tops of the dough. Sprinkle with salt (slit the tops if desired, just take care not to go all the way down to the hot dog) and place into the oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove and enjoy warm.