- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, ½ c. of heavy cream and sugars. Bring mixture to a low simmer.
- While mixture is heating over the stovetop, in a medium size mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks with pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg and salt. Slowly pour hot milk mixture into the eggs, whisking while doing so.
- Return mixture to the stovetop and continue heating until the temperature coats the back of a rubber spatula or reaches 160 degrees on a thermometer.
- Pour the mixture through a mesh sieve into a large mixing bowl. Add vanilla, salt, remaining ½ c. of heavy cream and pumpkin puree into the large mixing bowl. Whisk until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and place into refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- Once the mixture has chilled, pour mixture into an ice cream machine and chill according to manufacturer’s instructions (20 minutes or so with the KitchenAid attachment). Transfer the churned ice cream into an air-tight freezer safe container and freeze for 3-4 hours before serving.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Pumpkin Ice Cream