This spiced zucchini crumb cake is the perfect way to use up zucchini! It’s topped with a thick, buttery crumb and chopped walnuts.
The past two weeks have been full of flops in my kitchen. I’m not sure what’s been going on but it’s been really disappointing. This zucchini cake however, was NOT one of them. It was tender, fluffy and full of fall spices. I kind of loved everything about it, and I think you will too.
The batter is really easy to make, you can probably whip it up in just a few minutes. After that goes into the pan, you’ll want to make the crumb topping. Mine turned out a little on the dry side, so I remade this in muffin form and adjusted the recipe as reflected below. I kind of want to top everything with it now!! Bake the cake for 35 minutes and then check the center to see if it’s set. Give it a few extra minutes if it’s still a bit wobbly.
After it cools, cut it and serve it with a big glass of milk and enjoy! Happy baking!!
Zucchini Crumb Cake Recipe
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup zucchini - shredded
For the Crumb Topping
- 2 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cake flour - OR all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter - melted
- 1/3 cup walnuts - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x9-inch baking pan with non-stick spray or line with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (with a hand mixer) or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the sour cream, sugar, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Add the zucchini and gently mix in. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Combine all of the ingredients for the topping in a small mixing bowl. When large crumbs form, sprinkle the mixture over the batter. Place in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until the center is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before cutting or removing.