1 Hour Soft & Fluffy Dinner Rolls
Holidays always meant that mom was going to make a big batch of dinner rolls. I always looked forward to eating more rolls than anything else… I really loved them! Now that I’ve got a little family of my own, I love to make rolls for special meals like Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. Every once in a while I’ll make a batch of these rolls to go with a weeknight meal, but waiting around for rolls to do their thing, just isn’t mine! So I decided to see if I could come up with a recipe for the softest, fluffiest dinner rolls that would only take 1 hour from start to finish. Today I’m sharing them with you!
Last week I posted my 1 Hour Cinnamon Rolls here on the blog. The recipe for these 1 Hour Soft & Fluffy Dinner rolls is very similar. By creating a quick-rise dough, it’s easy to get a batch of rolls made and baked within 60 minutes. A little oven proofing helps these rolls rise in no-time, something I find extremely appealing about this recipe! So let’s get started… the clock is ticking!
In a medium size microwave safe bowl, combine the honey, butter, water and milk. Place it in the microwave and heat it until the butter is mostly melted. The milk & water should be VERY hot, this is exactly what you want. Allow it to rest on your counter for 3-4 minutes so that it cools enough to activate the yeast, but no kill it. While the mixture is cooling, combine the flour, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (recipe below gives instructions for those who don’t have a mixer). With the mixing speed on low, pour the slightly cooled liquids into the bowl of the stand mixer, then add the egg. Mix until a tacky dough forms. The dough is going to look EXTREMELY sticky. It’s ok to add a sprinkle of flour here and there, but don’t overdo it or your rolls will be hard as a rock! Switch to the dough hook and knead until a nice ball forms, about 4-5 minutes. Stop what you’re doing and preheat your oven to 200 degrees F. (See “NOTES” if you live a dry region with low humidity)
Transfer the ball of dough to a lightly floured surface and sprinkle a bit of flour on top. Cover with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes. Resting will help the gluten form and will create a lighter fluffier roll. It’s a necessary step! Next, butter a 9×13 inch pan (or a ¼ sheet pan). Cut the ball of dough into 12 equal size pieces. I like to do wedges so it looks like a sliced pizza, but any method will work. Roll the pieces into balls and place in the prepared pan. Turn OFF your oven and cover the rolls with a clean towel. Place them in the oven and allow them to rise (proof) for 25 minutes. Once they have doubled in size, turn your oven ON to 375 degrees, butter the tops of your rolls and bake them for approximately 18-22 minutes.
When you peek in your oven and see that the tops of the rolls are a deep golden brown in color, it’s time to take them out! Slather a nice thick layer of butter on them and let them cool for a few minutes before breaking apart and eating! They go great with just about anything and are even more delicious when covered in whipped honey butter or cinnamon butter! We absolutely LOVED these rolls and will definitely be making them time and time again! These 1 Hour Soft & Fluffy Dinner rolls are our new go-to recipe!!!
DON’T FORGET TO WATCH MY VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE!
- 2¾-3 c. all-purpose flour
- ¼ c. honey
- ¼ c. butter
- 1 egg
- 2½ tsp. instant (quick rise) yeast
- ½ c. water
- ¼ c. whole milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted (for brushing)
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, yeast and salt.
- In a small microwave safe bowl (or glass measuring cup), combine the honey, butter, water and milk. Heat in the microwave until the mixture is hot and the butter is almost melted (it took about 1 minute 30 seconds on HIGH in my microwave). Allow to sit for 3-4 minutes on the counter before adding the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and mix until a soft and sticky dough forms.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- If using a stand mixer, switch to the dough hook and set on the lowest mixing setting for 4 minutes or until the dough becomes elastic or knead by hand on a lightly floured surface for 3-4 minutes. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and allow it to rest on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested, cut it into 12 equal pieces. Roll into circles and place into a well-buttered 9x13 pan or ¼ baking sheet. Generously butter the tops and sides of each roll. Place a clean kitchen towel over top. Turn OFF your oven and place the covered rolls inside to rise for 25 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and turn ON your oven to 375 degrees. Once heated, bake the rolls for 17-20 minutes or until the centers are lightly golden brown in color. Just keep an eye on them, they may take a bit longer.
- Remove from the oven and brush with the remaining butter. Serve immediately.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple