The Best Buttermilk Cornbread
I think it’s safe to say that I’ve made my fair share of cornbread over the past few years. We’re completely obsessed with these honey corn muffins, but I’ve never found an actual cornbread recipe that I’ve truly loved until now. This buttermilk cornbread is moist, tender and oh so flavorful. It’s perfectly sweet and bakes up beautifully every time. It’s a winner!
So let’s be real… cornbread isn’t the hardest or trickiest thing to make, but everyone has different tastes. I prefer mine to be thick, sweet, tender and moist. I hate when cornbread is super dry or crumbles to a million pieces as soon as you pick it up. I’m also not a huge fan of adding creamed corn or whole kernels. I just don’t like the texture.
I do however, LOVE the taste that both buttermilk and honey gives to it. I’m positive they were made just to use in cornbread. So my recipe includes a little of both :)
I came up with this recipe a few months back when I was looking for something to serve with this lightened up jalapeno popper soup (which if you haven’t tried it yet, you’ve got to)! I had a small carton of buttermilk sitting in my fridge that I desperately needed to use and a new bottle of orange blossom honey begging me to open it. So I took elements from our favorite corn muffin recipe and combined them with a cornbread recipe that we had tried before. I was nervous about some of the substitutions I made, but in the end they worked perfectly. Not only did it smell amazing but it tasted tasted amazing too! It’s definitely a recipe I’ll be using over and over again.
As soon as this cornbread comes out of the oven you’ll be dying to cut it up and dig in! I highly suggest whipping up a little honey butter to spread inside, it’ll make it even more incredible! Enjoy & happy baking!
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ c. granulated sugar
- ¼ c. honey
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 c. buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. cornmeal
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (for brushing)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray or lightly butter an 8x8 inch glass or metal baking pan, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar and honey. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, beating until the mixture is smooth. Add the buttermilk and mix to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring with a spatula until only a few lumps remain. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the spatula to create an even layer. Allow the batter to sit for 3 minutes before placing in the oven to bake.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. You may need to place a piece of foil over the top at the 20 minute mark to prevent over-browning. Remove from the oven, brush the top with butter and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.