Sweet and Savory cornbread muffins that are simple and so tasty! They are perfectly paired with any soup or chili and are a must-have for fall!
Cornbread is the PERFECT side dish to any soup, and this muffin version is great for serving at parties, chili cook offs and more. We especially love serving it with taco soup and chicken chili!
Our Favorite Chili Side
I still remember falling in love with cornbread as a child, which means we have it ALL THE TIME now with our favorite soups. I mean – is it even right to serve chili without some sort of cornbread? I think not!
With that in mind, we wanted to share our favorite cornbread muffins with you – just in time for chili season.
This HAS to be our favorite chili side, and that’s because these muffins are so delicious, so simple and pair so well with some of our favorite chili recipes (like chicken chili and beef chili).
Once you try our sweet cornbread muffins, you’ll never want to use a box mix again!
How to Make Corn Muffins
- For a GLUTEN-FREE version, use almond flour (cornmeal is already gluten free).
- MILK – We use 2% or WHOLE milk for our baking recipes, but 1% and SKIM can both be used – there will just be less flavor.
Additions, Toppings + More
Customize these muffins to your liking. Some ways to change it up, include:
- Add 1 cup of canned corn to the batter if you like it in there.
- CHEESE – if you love it, add 1 cup to the batter. Cheddar cheese is amazing!
- For a Mexican version, add 1 small can of green chiles and 1 cup Mexican cheese.
- For a bit of spice, add a few chopped jalapenos to the batter before baking.
These muffins are best served warm with: butter, cinnamon butter or even honey.
Honestly, there are so many ways to change up this recipe, but no matter how you like them, they’re the perfect muffin!
What to Serve it With?
Chili, chili and more chili! Could you guess we loved our cornbread with chili? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Having said that, it goes great with many soups too. Here are some of our favorites to serve it with:
- Taco Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Jalapeno Lime Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Beef Chili
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken and Hatch Chile Stew
STORING + FREEZING: For storing, be sure to wrap the muffins or place in a Ziploc bag at room temp. To prolong the life, you can store them in the fridge for up to 1 week. And to freeze these guys, just place in a freezer-safe bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. We typically let them defrost on the counter and then microwave for a few seconds to warm them.
For more soup sides, check out:
Cornbread Muffins Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a standard size muffin tin with liners, set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, honey, eggs, and milk.
- Add cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Divide mixture evenly between the muffin liners. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.
- Serve warm.
I love your idea about adding green chilis to the next batch. Perfect with the chili I’m making for tonight.
I love these cornbread muffins! They are great with a bowl of soup or chili, fabulous warm with butter as breakfast or a snack, even drizzled with honey as a sweet treat! Delicious!
YUM! These were just perfect. We served these with vegetarian chili and they were so so good. I’m going to serve tomorrow with eggs for breakfast. So versatile.