Peppermint Hot Cocoa
This rich and creamy peppermint hot chocolate is a festive way to warm up on chilly winter nights!
Hot chocolate is a treat we make after snow-filled days or on extra special occasions. It’s something I always look forward to! About a month ago we made salted caramel hot cocoa and it was so good. That salty sweet combo was absolute perfection????. This time around I wanted to make something a little more festive. I tossed some leftover candy canes in the the food processor, grabbed a bar of peppermint bark and some peppermint extract, and got to work.
Everything went into a medium saucepan on the stovetop. After simmering on low for about 10 minutes it was ready. Easy, right?! This would be great in a slow cooker as well, especially to serve at holiday parties or family gatherings. Double or triple the recipe and let it cook on low for about 2 hours. People can enjoy hot chocolate straight from the crockpot all night long. ☕️
We served ours with a big dollop of freshly whipped cream, miniature marshmallows and a sprinkle of crushed candy cane. It was thick, creamy, and minty, exactly what I wanted!
This cozy peppermint hot cocoa is a recipe you’ll definitely want to make this holiday season. It’s easy and delicious!
- 4 c. whole milk
- 1 c. half & half
- ⅔ c. homemade hot cocoa mix
- 2 oz. chopped peppermint bark
- 3 tbsp. crushed candy cane
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- pinch kosher sea salt
- Optional garnishes:
- Whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows
- Crushed candy cane
- Chocolate sauce
- Set a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, half & half, cocoa mix, peppermint bark, crushed candy cane, peppermint extract, and salt. Bring to a low simmer, whisking frequently. Allow the cocoa to simmer for 10 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Divide between mugs, garnish as desired.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple