Grilled Panzanella Salad
This classic yet rustic Italian bread and tomato salad (grilled panzanella salad) is fresh and summery, but still hearty enough to eat for dinner!
This simple salad comes together in just 30 minutes. It’s easy, quick and absolutely delicious. Guys, it’s time to break out your grill (or grill pan) again! Summer is here and that means produce is in abundance. Whether you grow your own or shop at a local farmers market or grocery store, this salad is the perfect way to use up cherry tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, basil and mixed greens.
This was my first time tossing Italian bread on the grill, and it won’t be my last. I couldn’t believe how flavorful it got, especially after soaking up all of the dressing. Every element in this salad blended beautifully and nothing tasted out of place. Each bite was just as delicious as the last!
If you don’t own a grill or a grill pan, you can still make this. Just butter and toast your bread, and roast your veggies on a sheet pan in the oven. Let everything cool for about 5 minutes before you toss in on the bed of greens, then drizzle the homemade dressing over top, pouring a little extra on the bread. Allow the salad to rest for a good 10 minutes before serving so that the flavors can meld together. Sprinkle with parmesan, ground black pepper and some fresh basil.
This grilled panzanella salad is full of garden veggies and drizzled in a vibrant vinaigrette. It’s fresh, flavorful and perfect for summer entertaining. You can easily customize it by adding red onion, carrots, yellow squash, chicken or even mozzarella!
- 1 small loaf Italian bread (sourdough or French works too), cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 3 tbsp. oil (safflower, canola, peanut or avocado), divided
- 1 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and then cut to ½-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 8 oz. heirloom cherry tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. kosher sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ c. red wine or balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c. olive oil
- 4 oz. mixed greens
- ½ c. fresh basil, julienned
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella balls (optional)
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat grill (spray grill basket with non-stick high smoke point spray) or grill pan (season with a high smoke point oil) to medium-high heat.
- Lightly brush both sides of the bread slices with 1½ tbsp. oil and grill until marks appear; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining oil with the zucchini, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper, then toss to evenly coat. Grill the veggies on both sides (turning only once), about 4-5 minutes on each side; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the vinegar, mustard and garlic. Whisk vigorously while slowly pouring in the olive oil until emulsified. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, add the greens, basil, mozzarella, and the vegetables. Tear the bread into pieces and add. Pour the dressing over top, then toss to combine. Sprinkle with parmesan and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
-You can easily swap out the homemade vinaigrette for your favorite bottled kind.
-I prefer to use a non-propellant based spray or a paper towel soaked in oil to season my COLD grill pan, the same would go for a standard grill.
Recipe source: adapted from Kitchen Confidence