Creamy Tuscan Chicken and Potatoes
Crisp, herb roasted chicken with potatoes, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, all in a garlic cream sauce. This tuscan-inspired meal is loaded with flavor!
I’m not sure why I’m digging “tuscan” flavors so much, but guys, I’m kind of obsessed. Good thing my family is too! This dish is one we’ll be making over & over again. It’s easy, so so flavorful, and you can add pretty much anything to it. We’ve added some bacon crumbles and mushrooms and WOW was that delicious!! ????
You’ll need 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs OR three large chicken breasts. Since potatoes take a while to cook, you want a nice thick cut of meat so it doesn’t get dried out. Timing is everything. ⏰ If you’re super worried about firm potatoes, you can either steam the cubes or boil them for a bit before tossing them in the pan with everything else. I didn’t have an issue, but I made sure I cut them nice and small and tried to spread them out so they’d have room to cook.
Once the chicken is crispy and golden and the veggies are nice and tender, pull it out and sprinkle everything with a few big shavings of parmesan and enjoy!
- 6 large chicken thighs (bone-in & skin-on)
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. kosher sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
- 2 c. spinach, chopped
- ⅓ c. chopped sun-dried tomatoes (oil patted off)
- 1 lb. russet potatoes, pelled and chopped into ½" cubes
- For the sauce:
- ¼ c. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1¼ c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. dried parsley (or 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley)
- ¼ tsp. kosher sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- ½ c. half and half or heavy cream
- ⅓ c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season chicken thighs with Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side; set aside.
- Add in the spinach and cook until it begins to wilt, about 2 minutes; set aside.
- For the sauce, melt the butter in the skillet. Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, Italian seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper. Allow the sauce to cook, whisking constantly for about 2 minutes, then whisk in the half and half and parmesan. Cook until thickened until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Place chicken into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Place the potatoes around the chicken, then top with the spinach and sun-dried tomatoes. Pour the sauce over top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken reaches 160 degrees. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe source: inspired by Damn Delicious