This insanely good chicken lasagna has layers of extra cheesy mushroom, spinach and chicken filling. Even the pickiest of eaters will LOVE this dish!
This layered casserole is not only crazy tasty, but easy to make. A perfect weeknight crowd-pleaser to fill bellies when there is too much going on. Try Quick + Easy Garlic Butter Noodles, 30 Minute Mongolian Stir Fry, and 30 Minute Pesto Tortellini for some other easy weeknight winners.
A Classic, but with Chicken!
I’m a sucker for good lasagna, especially when I’m not the one making it. I know that sounds odd, but lasagna can be time consuming for a busy mom, it also ends up making waaaay too much for our family of four. That’s why I LOVE this recipe. It makes the perfect amount, can be prepped in less than 25 minutes, and it tastes amazing.
My husband was a little skeptical about this dish when I made it for our family a few months ago. Chicken in lasagna? With red sauce? I know, it sounds like an odd combo, but it’s delish! Picky eaters will devour it and the leftovers will disappear (if there are any).
This unique yet flavorful lasagna has quickly become a family favorite. Plus our kids really loved that it didn’t have ground sausage or beef. Instead it was filled with shredded rotisserie chicken, chopped spinach, chopped mushrooms, and FOUR kinds of cheese. That’s right!! I’m pretty sure the amount of cheese is what really sealed the deal.
How to Make Chicken Lasagna
In a skillet on medium high heat, sauté the veggies in olive oil so they’re nice and soft
Allow veggies to cool 5 minutes then combine all of the filling ingredients together
How to Layer:
- Spread ¼ of pasta sauce in the bottom o f prepared baking dish
- Cover with a layer of noodles
- Spread ¼ of the sauce over noodles then ½ of the filling
- Top with another layer of noodles
- Spread ¼ of the sauce and remaining chicken mixture
- Add final layer of noodles then sauce
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella an Parmesan over top
Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove foil and bake uncovered additional 15 minutes
Remove and rest for 20 minutes before cutting. Garnish with parsley if desired.
STORE leftovers in the fridge and rewarm in the microwave.
You can prepare and then FREEZE the lasagna to bake later. My advice with that is to prepare it in a disposable casserole dish with a lid. Then freeze for up to 3 months.
To REHEAT a frozen lasagna let it thaw overnight in the fridge before baking like normal. You might have to add a few more minutes to fully finish it, but it shouldn’t take too much longer.
How long does it last? Chicken lasagna will last 3-5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
What to Serve With It?
If you’re feeling fancy you can garnish it with some freshly chopped parsley (or parsley flakes), but don’t feel like you have to go out of your way to buy it just for this dish.
For more recipes, check out:
Insanely Good Chicken Lasagna Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz cremini mushrooms - stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cup raw spinach - roughly chopped
- 4 oz original cream cheese - (1/2 a block)
- 2/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cup shredded chicken - rotisserie works great
- 9 no boil lasagna noodles - uncooked
- 1 (26 oz) jar pasta sauce*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x6-inch or 9x9-inch baking dish with baking spray, set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the stovetop and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then combine with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, spinach, cream cheese, ricotta, 1 cup of mozzarella, 3 tablespoons of parmesan, and the chicken. Mix until combined.
- Spread 1/4 of pasta sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover with a layer of noodles, 1/4 of the sauce, then half of the filling. Top with another layer of noodles, 1/4 of the sauce then the remaining chicken mixture. Add a final layer of noodles and sauce, then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesan over top.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
- You can use homemade sauce (about 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups) or your favorite store-bought sauce. We use a locally made organic sauce that is excellent!