Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
This sweet, flavorful Instant Pot teriyaki chicken is made effortlessly in your pressure cooker with just a handful ingredients. So much tastier AND healthier than takeout!
I hope you’re loving all of the Instant Pot recipes I’ve been sharing lately, I know we have! 😉 I know a lot of people are on the fence about about the Instant Pot, but I absolutely LOVE mine. It’s a total lifesaver for this busy mom of three. There’s a slight learning curve, but once you get the hang of it you can do whatever you want in it… even desserts!
I’ve been really excited about this recipe for weeks now because it’s 1.) soy free 2.) easy 3.) really delicious. I thought going soy free would be tough because that mean Asian food would be off limits, but thanks to coconut aminos it’s not!
What is coconut aminos?
- Coconut aminos is a sauce made from coconut sap. It’s rich, salty and slightly sweet, similar to a light soy sauce.
If you’re not avoiding soy, feel free to use it in place of the aminos. I’ve tested this way for the rest of my family and it got two big thumbs up.
The recipe is pretty straightforward. Sauté the chicken for 5 minutes, pour in the sauce, cook, then sauté again to reduce the liquid into a thick rich sauce.
Speaking of sauce, this teriyaki sauce is the BEST teriyaki sauce I’ve ever had. No joke. I’ve tried soooo many recipes over the years and have always been extremely disappointed until now. It’s slightly sweet, tangy and rich. So what’s in it? Coconut aminos (or soy sauce), toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, minced ginger, minced garlic, minced shallot, and a little bit of salt. It’s insanely good!
I like to sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds over top and serve it with white or brown rice and sautéed vegetables. So delicious- it really never gets old!
P.S. you can make this with cubed chicken breasts too, but thighs are just so tender!
What are some Instant Pot recipes you’d love to see this fall? Leave a suggestion in the comments below!
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 - 1 1/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts (fresh not frozen), excess fat removed
- 2/3 c. coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp. minced shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt (if using aminos instead of soy sauce)
- Turn the Instant Pot on the SAUTE setting. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes to render any excess fat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the aminos or soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, vinegar, brown sugar or honey, shallot, garlic, ginger and salt (if using aminos).
- Discard fat and liquid from the chicken. Pour the sauce over top.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and pressure cook on the POULTRY setting for 20 minutes. After the chicken has fully cooked, carefully turn the steam release vent (I always do this with a long oven mitt on) and let the pressure come down manually. Once the valve pops, remove the lid and turn the Instant Pot on SAUTE.
- Cook the chicken until the almost all of the remaining liquid is gone. The sauce will thicken and the chicken will begin to caramelize. Shred the chicken and toss in the sauce.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.
- Fresh chicken is always better for this recipe! Feel free to cut up chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes in place of thighs.