Quick and easy Homemade black bean burgers make a tasty alternative to their meat counterparts. Tasty AND healthy, what could be better?
I love a good burger. By making these with black beans I scratch that burger itch in a tasty yet healthy way without sacrificing on flavor! Try serving these with Zucchini Fries and Fruit Salad for a perfect dinner spread.
The Best Black Bean Burger
Black bean burgers are a healthy and delicious twist on an American Classic. Hit that burger craving head on without feeling guilty! With added flavors these become a tasty alternative.
Not only are they scrumptious but they are good for you! Black bean burgers are healthier than traditional burgers because they contain more fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They also contain less fat and cholesterol than traditional beef burgers.
Bonus, this is a great way to use up those cans of dried black beans that need to be rotated by making something yummy!
How to Make Black Bean Burgers
These delicious burgers are simple and great for those not eating meat!
BEANS. Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the beans have dried out.
SAUTE. Meanwhile, in a large skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minute.
PULSE. Add all ingredients (except beans) to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse everything together for 30 seconds, then add the black beans. Pulse the mixture, leaving larger chunks of beans.
PATTIES. Remove the mixture from the food processor ⅓ cup at a time and form into patties (don’t form them too thick). Place the large skillet back on the heat, add extra oil if necessary. Cook patties on each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve immediately, garnish with desired toppings.
Variations / Additions: Here are just a few ideas of what you can make…
- Chipotle black bean burger
- Black bean quinoa burger
- Sweet potato black bean burger
- Add Corn
- Spicy black bean burger
How to flavor? The best way to season black bean burgers is with garlic and onion and some fun spices: cumin, paprika, chili pepper, and normal salt and pepper. Definitely use fresh garlic and onion when incorporating them into black bean burgers!
How to mash the beans? You can mash the beans with either a food processor or even a fork. Make sure that you don’t completely mash them: you want a bulky texture.
How to shape black bean burger? You should grab a good handful of the patty mixture and roll it into a ball and then smash it into a flattened disc shape. They don’t need to be a perfect shape, but they will be more uniform in shape if you use the ball method. Also they don’t shrink like normal beef patties.
How to cook (skillet, grill, oven)? Cook on the stovetop at a low heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side. To grill you will need to make a pretty sturdy burger in order for it to sit on the grill without falling apart. Then have each side be on for about 3-4 minutes. You can also bake at 375 for 10 minutes on each side.
Why are my black bean burgers mushy? The chance is that you incorporated some extra moisture into the patty meat. This can be avoided by blotting the extra moisture from your sauteed garlic and onion. These things are the flavor base of a great black bean burger. Drying out the beans helps to keep out some of that moisture so they don’t get mushy.
STORE in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight plastic bag.
REHEAT in the microwave, or if you want a bit of a crispier texture you can even reheat in the oven.
To FREEZE the black bean burgers you can cook them all the way and let them cool completely. Then place them on a tray and freeze until solid, about 3-4 hours then place them in a freezer safe bag. Keep for about 6 months in the freezer, then reheat in the oven until warmed through.
How long do they last? They will last for about a week in the fridge and about 6 months in the freezer.
For more recipes, check out:
- Flourless Black Bean Brownies
- Extra Crunchy Turkey Black Bean Tacos
- Black Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
Homemade Black Bean Burgers Recipe
For the Patties:
- 2 (14 oz) cans black beans - drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 c onions - finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp green chilies - diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 c bread crumbs
- 1/2 c queso fresco cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 6-8 Hamburger Buns
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the beans have dried out.
- Meanwhile,in a large skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add to the bowl of a food processor along with the remaining ingredients (with the exception of the beans). Pulse everything together for 30 seconds, then add the black beans. Pulse the mixture, leaving larger chunks of beans.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor ⅓ cup at a time and form into patties (don’t form them too thick).
- Place the large skillet back on the heat, add extra oil if necessary. Cook patties on each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately, garnish with desired toppings.