Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad
This red, white and blue fruit salad is perfect for summer picnics and celebrations! It’s a festive and fresh combination of fruit drizzled with a touch of honey citrus dressing.
When summer rolls around we usually pack up early in the morning and head out to the park. I’m always packing a variety of picnic-type foods, but the one thing that stays constant is the fruit! Our kids LOVE fruit, and so do I. It’s easy to prep, crazy delicious and super healthy. I thought with the Fourth of July fast approaching that it would be fun to make a festive fruit salad, one that would be the star of the show at your holiday picnic or BBQ.
This salad couldn’t be easier to make. Grab a few pints of berries, a small watermelon and some apples or pineapple. Rinse the berries, chop the watermelon and then slice up the apples or pineapple into 1/2-inch thick slices. Using a star-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many stars as you can. I used a few different sizes (although I couldn’t find my littlest ones) which I thought looked really nice. Unlike most fruit salads, I decided to dress this one with a blend of honey citrus juice. It helped the berries shine and the apples from turning brown (not so much an issue if you’re working with pineapple). It’s totally optional but I thought it added a subtle hint of zest and sweetness without being overpowering.
We loved this red, white and blue fruit salad so much that we’ve made it a few times over the past month. It’s loaded with some of our favorite fruit and topped with a lovely light dressing. This fresh and vibrant salad is summertime in a bowl!!
Red, White, and Blue Fruit Salad Recipe
- 1/2 pineapple - OR 4 apples, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices, then cut into stars with cookie cutters
- 1 small watermelon - cut into chunks
- 1 pint raspberries
- 1 pint strawberries - sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1 orange - juiced
- Rinse fruit if need, cut then toss the fruit together in a large bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the honey, orange juice and lime juice. Pour over the fruit, let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.
DON’T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THESE 8 DELICIOUS PICNIC RECIPES:
- S’more Truffle Pops – Ashlee Marie
- Pesto Chicken Salad Sandwiches – Real Mom Kitchen
- Italian Orzo Pasta Salad – The Stay At Home Chef
- Turkey Club Picnic Sandwiches – The Baker Upstairs
- Macaroni Salad – Like Mother Like Daughter
- BBQ Chicken Salad Wraps – Summer Scraps
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad – Creations by Kara
- Slow Cooker Savory Baked Beans – 365 Days of Slow Cooking