Black Bean Tacos
Black Bean Tacos are crunchy and chalk full of flavor…did I mention easy?! Ready in minutes for those busy nights.
Some night I don’t know what I’m making until I walk into the kitchen right before dinner time. I love having something quick, easy, and delicious on hand like these Black Bean Tacos. For those nights when you have a bit more time try serving these with Mom’s Best Green Enchiladas and Best Ever 7 Layer Bean Dip.
Easy Tacos with Black Beans
Tacos are a staple in this house. We LOVE tacos, crunchy soft, meat beans…we aren’t too picky. Taco Tuesday becomes tacos any day of the week. 🙂
I do however really love making black bean tacos. Black beans are not only very tasty, but they are super healthy! Win win.
You can easily make your own refried black beans be following my Refried Beans recipe and substituting your delicious black beans. And because black beans can really take a lot of seasoning you can play around with the spices you use to flavor these.
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
- Lots of salt!
As always, use the flavors you love most for the black beans!
How to Make Black Bean Tacos
Mix together the beans, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and salt
Spread beans into the bottoms of the taco shells
Add cheese on top
Place into a deep baking dish
Bake at 375 degrees for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted
Remove from oven and add desired toppings
Can these be vegan? You can make these vegan if you omit the cheese.
What are the best toppings? Avocado, lettuce, tomato, and/or salsa
What kind of tortillas? Preferably hard shell tacos are my favorite and they support the black beans really well. You can always use flour or corn tortillas. Again the thicker the tortilla the better it will support the thick black beans spread.
Additions + Variations
As with any of our recipes, you can change them up to your liking, but here are a few ideas…
- Sweet potato: roasted sweet potatoes are a great addition to tacos
- Corn: add corn alongside other veggies, or make a corn salsa
- Chicken: use diced chicken for more protein. Cook it with some taco seasoning.
- Rice or Quinoa: add for more fiber and a more filling taco.
- Avocado: make sure it’s ripe and dice into small pieces
- Avocado crema
- Beef: mix with black beans, cook it with taco seasonings
- Salsa: try our 5 minute restaurant style salsa or mango pineapple salsa
- Black bean taco salad
The possibilities are endless!
Storing Info + More Tips
STORE everything except the tortillas in the fridge. REHEAT in the microwave until warmed through. You may need to add some water when reheating the beans if they seem really thick and won’t thin out.
Can you make these ahead of time? I wouldn’t recommend making these ahead of time, unless you decide to use dried beans and make them in the crock-pot. If this is your chosen method I would suggest starting these in the morning.
For more Mexican recipes, check out:
Black Bean Taco Recipe
- 1 can refried black beans
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- pinch salt
- 6-8 crunchy Taco Shells
- 2 c grated Colby Jack or cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Ina medium mixing bowl mix together the beans, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, and salt
- Spread beans into the bottoms of the taco shells. Add cheese on top. Place into a deep baking dish and bake for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese is melted
- Remove from oven and add desired toppings. Serve immediately