Homemade buttermilk syrup really takes breakfast up a notch. You will be surprised at how easily it comes together!
We love breakfast in this house. All breakfast foods, all the time. We often have breakfast for dinner because we just can’t get enough!
This buttermilk syrup is like liquid gold. It makes ANYTHING taste like heaven. We love to pour this sweet syrup over our homemade buttermilk pancakes, but it can be poured over any pancakes or dessert really.
The best part is it only requires a few ingredients and it whips up in a flash. It may require a little extra effort, but trust me, it is well worth it!
How to make buttermilk syrup
HEAT. Combine butter, buttermilk, white and brown sugars and baking soda in a saucepan over med-low to medium heat. It will begin to froth; continuously stir until everything is melted, warm and well combined.
COMBINE + SERVE. Take off heat and stir in the vanilla or maple extract.
Here are a few tips when making it:
- Make syrup in an oversized sauce pan to allow room for expansion when it foams up.
- Add ½ tsp of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice when you add the buttermilk for a variety in flavor.
- Almond or coconut extract can be used in place of the vanilla extract.
- Stir syrup frequently to prevent any scorching on the bottom of your pan.
- The longer the syrup simmers the thicker it will be. It will also begin to darken and have a slight caramel flavor. For even more caramel flavor, add 2 TBSP of corn syrup in with the buttermilk.
Leftover syrup shouldn’t be left out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
STORE syrup in a Mason jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Warm in the microwave at 30 second intervals or in a saucepan on the stove at low temperature when ready to serve.
FREEZE in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3-4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before warming.
breakfast recipes that would pair well with homemade buttermilk syrup:
- How To Make Crepes
- The Best Buttermilk Waffles
- Pumpkin French Toast
- Eggnog French Toast Bake
- Gingerbread Waffles
Buttermilk Syrup Recipe
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk - **
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - not packed
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or maple extract - or 4 tsp cocoa powder ***
- Combine butter, buttermilk, white and brown sugars and baking soda in a saucepan over med-low to medium heat. It will begin to froth; continuously stir until everything is melted, warm and well combined.
- Take off heat and stir in the vanilla or maple extract.