Cajun Chicken Pasta
This creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is simple with a hint of spice. It makes for an easy & incredibly flavorful homemade dinner.
A tasty one pot meal that will fill those hungry bellies and leave the kitchen sink clear of dishes! For more one-pot-wonders try Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Noodles, Chicken Stroganoff, One Pot Chicken Bog.
Easy, Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
Cajun food is typically in the style of Louisiana: this means that the food is a mix of Spanish and French styles. It is also known as “creole”.
I am a fan of spice, and who doesn’t love creamy pasta?! This is a big hit in our home. And even better? It only uses one pot and you serve it up in a bowl. Ahh, fewer dishes to wash 🙂
This kickin’ pasta dish is easy to adapt, too. Swap in shrimp for the chicken, add
How to Make Cajun Chicken Pasta
CHICKEN. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add olive oil. Season cubed chicken with Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder. Add chicken to the pan and brown on all sides.
SAUTÉ. Add bell pepper and onion, sauté for 1 minute. Add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds.
PASTA. Pour in chicken broth and turn up heat. Bring to a boil, then add the pasta. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
THICKEN. Add the spinach, milk, and cream cheese and stir to combine. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Add Parmesan cheese and toss to combine. Serve warm.
What pasta to use? You can use rigatoni, penne pasta or farfalle. I suggest not using spaghetti or angel hair because it will be easiest to eat with chicken bites.
What cut of chicken? Preferably chicken breasts. Chicken thighs could work, but they typically don’t have as much meat on them.
Mixing chicken in or serving over the top? You can cook everything in the same pan, so mixing the chicken in might actually be simpler for a one pot meal. If you would like you can be doing two things at the same time and cook the chicken while making the pasta, so in this case you can serve the chicken on top.
- With sausage: Instead of chicken you can use spicy sausage or andouille pork sausage in the pasta. This is a great spice level to add to the pasta while also changing up the meat choice.
- With shrimp: Use cooked shrimp without tails.
- With alfredo: Use an alfredo sauce rather than the red sauce.
How to Store + Side Ideas
STORE pasta in the fridge in an airtight container. You can REHEAT it in the microwave until warmed through. If you want you can even warm it on a pot on the stove and add some extra butter for the creaminess.
You can FREEZE this chicken pasta in an airtight freezer bag or in an airtight container. You should set this in the fridge the night before eating it and then warm it on the stove, or even bake it.
How long does it last? This should last in the fridge for about a week and in the freezer for 1-2 months.
What to serve with
Form more pasta recipes, check out:
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Bruschetta Chicken and Pasta
- Kale, Basil, and Spinach Pesto Baked Pasta
- Ham Ricotta Stromboli
Cajun Chicken Pasta Recipe
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts - cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 red bell pepper - diced
- 1 small onion - diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1 lb pasta - rigatoni, penne or farfalle
- 1 1/2 c fresh spinach - chopped
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 c milk
- 1/3 c Parmesan cheese - grated
- Set a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Season cubed chicken with Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder.Add to the pan and brown on all sides
- Add bell pepper and onion, sauté for 1 minute, then add garlic. Saute for 30 seconds
- Pour in chicken broth and turn up heat. Bring to a boil, then add the pasta. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, then add the spinach, milk, and cream cheese. Stir to combine, then let simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Let the m mixture thicken
- Add Parmesan cheese and toss to combine. Serve warm.