Chicken Gyro Salad
A healthy, fresh choice for lunch or dinner! This chicken gyro salad is loaded with all of the classic fixings and topped with a marinated Greek chicken.
If there’s one meal I struggle with, it’s lunch. It’s such a busy time of the day for us. I don’t always have time to throw together something super healthy. Sometimes crackers, cheese and fruit are all I manage to eat. I’m sure I’m not alone. This year I’ve made it a goal to be more conscious of what I’m eating for lunch, and maybe, just maybe that will help prevent those mid-afternoon snack attacks. This loaded Greek-inspired salad has been one of my recent favs. It’s easy to throw together and keeps me fueled until dinner time.
I start with the chicken. I usually prep the marinade the night before and then let it rest in the refrigerator until the following morning. Sometimes when I’m in a rush I’ll let it sit while the oven heats up, about 15 minutes or so. FYI: it still turns out juicy and flavorful. ? While the chicken is baking, I chop up the cucumber, tomatoes and onion.
If we have homemade tzatziki or hummus leftover, I’ll use that. I’ve also used the store-bought stuff too. Anything to simplify things, right?! After the chicken has cooled for 10 minutes, I’ll slice it up and add it to the salad. You want to make sure you give it time to rest so that it stays nice and juicy and absorbs all of that flavor and to prevent your greens from wilting.
This chicken gyro salad is fresh, healthy and full of vibrant flavors. It’s a filling power meal for one or a lighter lunch or dinner for two. You can easily customize it to suit your tastes, just don’t skip out on that marinated chicken- it’s everything!! ?✨
Chicken Gyro Salad
For the chicken:
- 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 tbsp.
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
For the salad:
- 4 oz. greens - rinsed
- cherry tomatoes - halved
- sliced cucumber
- thinly sliced red onion
- marinated olives
- crispy chickpeas
- pita wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl or ziploc bag, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, minced garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic and onion powder. Add chicken and mix until combined. Marinate for 15 minutes (or as long as 24 hours).
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Remove and tent with foil for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, prepare remaining ingredients for salad. Serve in one medium size bowl or divide between two salad bowls or plates.
- Top with warm chicken and serve.