You will love this Chicken Piccata recipe – golden seared chicken breast topped with a lemon white wine caper sauce! Your guest will assume this delicious recipe is complex but it is about as easy as it comes!
I love making this Chicken Piccata because I feel like a fancier cook than I really am! The aroma, flavors, and appearance make this a recipe perfect for special occasions. Pair it will my orzo arugula salad with lemon basil vinegarette, or cucumber dill salad and you will have one flavorful, beautiful and delectable meal!
Easy Chicken Piccata
Chicken Piccata is an elegant dish and so many think it’s probably difficult to make, but it really is extremely easy!
In fact, it’s just like Chicken Francese but with capers added to the lemon white wine sauce. All you need is a large skillet, delicious ingredients and a little bit of time to make this tender and flavorful chicken.
We love to serve this lemon-flavored chicken over pasta; spaghetti and angel hair pasta are our favorite. Or make it a little healthier by serving it over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles! It pairs nicely with our cheesy garlic bread!
Ingredients + Prepping
This recipe begins with quality ingredients. Chicken piccata is typically made with boneless chicken breast, but you can use bone-in, it might actually help the chicken retain its moisture but it is a little messier to eat. You can use frozen chicken breast but you will need to add a couple of extra minutes of cooking time.
This recipe includes white wine to start the sauce, but if you don’t have any at home you can substitute that with chicken broth/stock. And I prefer using fresh lemons for this recipe but you can use bottled lemon juice too.
The ingredient I love the most in this recipe is the capers! Capers come from the Mediterranean region and have a lemon, olive, and salty flavor. Some describe the flavors as briny or vinegary, but they add so much flavor to this dish.
How to Make Chicken Piccata
Begin by combining flour, parmesan, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika in a pie pan or baking dish
Generously coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture and then set aside.
The brown the chicken in butter and oil in a large skillet. Typically about 4 minutes per side.
Remove the chicken and transfer to a clean plate or piece of parchment paper.
In the same skillet add the wine and cook for 30 seconds.
Then add the chicken broth and scrape the pan to deglaze it.
Allow this mixture to simmer until it has reduces to half the amount of liquid.
Add the lemon juice, remaining butter and capers. Whisk to combine.
- You may return the chicken to the saucepan and spoon the sauce over top and then serve immediately.
- Or to prevent the chicken from getting too soggy, place the chicken on your serving plate and spoon the sauce over the top.
- I love to garnish with fresh parsley!
Storing + Side Tips
Storing: Store this in the fridge for up to a week in an air-tight container.
Freezing: You can also freeze the leftovers in a freezer-safe, air-tight container for up to 2 months.
Reheating: To eat after its been frozen make sure to leave it in the fridge overnight to thaw out before rewarming in the oven or in the microwave.
We love to serve our Chicken Piccata with a side of fresh bread or rolls bread or rolls (to soak up the remaining delicious sauce!) or an easy tossed salad!
This chicken piccata recipe will impress your family in friends with its flavor and appearance- just don’t let them in on the secret of how easy this recipe really is!
For more chicken recipes, check out:
- Chicken Satay Skillet
- Chimichurri Chicken
- Maple Dijon Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- Crispy Lemon Pepper Chicken
Easy Chicken Piccata
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp. white wine
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. capers, brine drained
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- In a baking dish or pie dish, combine flour, parmesan, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and paprika. Whisk until combined.
- Place chicken cutlets in the mixture and dredge them. They should be generously coated in the mixture. Transfer to a plate, or parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the oil and butter. Once hot, add the chicken and brown on each side, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken and transfer to a clean plate or piece of parchment paper.
- To make the sauce, in the same skillet, add the wine. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Let the liquid simmer until it reduces by half.
- Add the lemon juice, remaining butter, capers. Whisk to combine. If serving immediately. Add chicken back to the pan, spoon sauce over top, then serve. Or plate the chicken and spoon the sauce over top (to prevent it from getting too soggy). Garnish with fresh parsley.
My family loves chicken piccata!! It’s a kid friendly meal!
This recipe is packed with flavor!!! My whole family loves it!!! Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Wow, this recipe was delicious and so EASY! We will make it again! YUM.
Yum! This was quick and easy and tasted great too. My whole family liked it. I’ll be making it again for sure.
I LOVE chicken piccata! This looks incredibly delicious!