Our friend Katie’s birthday was a couple of days ago. We took over some of these cupcakes along with this ice cream. I used one of my favorite vanilla recipes for the base, added some chocolate chunks and of course a handful (more like a couple of handfuls) of eggless cookie dough bits. It was perfect. I’ll definitely be making it again!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 vanilla bean - split in half lengthwise or ½ tsp. ground vanilla bean
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped chocolate chunks
Eggless Cookie Dough
- 1/4 cup butter - room temperature
- 1/4 cup +2 tbsp brown sugar - packed
- 1/4 cup +2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp water
- 1/8 cup mini chocolate chips - semi-sweet
- Warm the milk, salt, sugar and 1 c. of cream in a medium sauce pan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean or add the ground vanilla bean to the warm milk. Cover and keep on low heat (just enough to keep warm) for 30 minutes.
- Pour the remaining 1 c. of cream into a large mixing bowl and place a mesh sieve on top.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm milk mixture into the yolks, whisking constantly. After combined, scrape the mixture back into the saucepan and return to medium heat. Using a heatproof spatula, scrape the bottom as you stir, until the mixture coats the bottom of the spatula and/or reaches 170 degrees.
- Pour the heated mixture through the strainer and into the cream. Add the vanilla extract.
- Place over an ice bath to cool, then place in refrigerator for 30 minutes until chilled throughout.
- Meanwhile, to make the cookie dough bits, in a small bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Then mix in flour and water. Gently fold in mini chocolate morsels.
- Place dough in a ziplock bag, flatten to allow it to cool faster. Place in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes, remove and roll into bite size bits (set aside)
- Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. When finished churning, stir in cookie bits and chocolate chunks with spatula.
- Place in a air-tight freezer safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours.