Chunky Homemade Granola
Crunchy homemade granola that tastes as amazing as it smells! This will be your go-to granola recipe. It’s simply the best!
Lately I’ve been craving good granola. You know, the really chunky kind that’s not overly sweet and is loaded with all the good stuff! Unfortunately it’s harder to find than you might think, because nothing tastes quite as amazing as homemade! This is my go-to recipe. It takes minutes to prep and the oven does the rest. Plus it makes your house smell heavenly, which is always a nice bonus!
Grab a sheet pan, some parchment (or a baking mat), two bowls, a whisk, and a spatula, and let’s get started! Granola here we come!
You’ll start by whisking the dry ingredients together: old fashioned oats, sliced almonds, coconut (sweetened or unsweetened), chopped pecans, wheat germ, flax seeds, cinnamon and salt. Then in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: brown sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, water and vanilla. Toss the two together and spread it over the prepared sheet pan.
Place it in the oven and bake it for 10 minutes, stir, and repeat one more time at the 20 minute mark. By 30 minutes the granola will have darkened and the nuts/coconut will be nice and toasty. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the raisins over top. Press the granola down with a spatula, then let it rest, untouched for 30 minutes or until it is completely cool. The secret to chunky granola is not stirring it once it comes out of the oven. So don’t be tempted to touch it after pressing it down!
Once it’s cool you can break it up into chunks and transfer it to an airtight container. We love eating ours as cereal or on top of yogurt. It’d also be great in a smoothie bowl or tossed onto a baked apple or grilled peach! This chunky homemade granola is a recipe our entire family LOVES- kids included! It’s definitely a winner 🙂
Chunky Homemade Granola Recipe
- 3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut - sweetened or unsweetened
- 1/3 cup pecans - chopped
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar - packed
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil - melted
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat, set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, almonds, coconut, pecans, wheat germ, flax seeds, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, hot water, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mix with a large spoon or spatula to combine. Spread across the prepared baking sheet into an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring at the 10 minute and 20 minute mark. Remove from the oven add the raisins over top. Press into the granola, then let rest, untouched until completely cool.
- Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.