I’ve never been one to eat chocolate for breakfast, but this salted caramel almond brownie granola has completely changed that! During this past pregnancy I practically ate my weight in granola. It was quick, easy, filling and I loved the crunch. Lets just say it’s a good thing I recently discovered my love for chocolate granola, or things might have gotten out of hand really quickly 😉 Because this decadent yet wholesome blend of deliciousness is totally addictive… in the best way possible!
I’ve made granola in the past, but never anything quite like this. Now I’m totally kicking myself for waiting so long! This chocolate-based granola has a subtle hint of coconut and is studded with chocolate chips and almond chunks. For that sweet and salty combo that I love so much, I used Blue Diamond’s Salted Caramel Flavored Almonds. They were perfect for this recipe, that way I didn’t have to candy my own or make a sticky mess with actual salted caramel.
I tried to keep things on the more natural side and used coconut oil, maple syrup (which really compliments the salted caramel flavor) and unsweetened shredded coconut. I know the brown sugar and chocolate probably cancels all of that out, but at least there’s a bit of wholesome goodness in there, right?
When you’ve got your ingredients measured out and ready to go, all you need to do is combine them! When the oats are nice and most and you don’t have any clumps of cocoa, spread the mixture out onto a lined baking sheet. I prefer using a mat because it stays in place and it’s easy to clean/reusable, but you could also use parchment paper. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10. During the last 10 minutes add the almonds along with the chocolate chips. Remove from the oven and garnish with a dash of sea salt.
The granola will be REALLY hot, so let it cool for at least an hour before diving in! It’ll take about 2 hours (depending on the temperature of your house) for the chocolate chips to firm up. I like to stir my granola a bit so some of them melt into it, leaving the rest to solidify as chunks… the texture is awesome! When the granola has cooled, scoop it and store it in an air-tight container for up to 1 week. Eat it as-is, with milk, yogurt, or on top of ice cream.
I hope you’ll love this salted caramel almond brownie granola as much as I did! It’s the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth and pack in a bit of extra protein! Enjoy & happy baking!
Salted Caramel Almond Brownie Granola Recipe
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder *
- 1/2 tsp sea salt - divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil - solid
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Blue Diamond Salted Caramel Flavored Almonds - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard size baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, coconut, cocoa, ¼ tsp. sea salt, and brown sugar.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the solid coconut oil along with the maple syrup (especially if yours is cold). Heat until the oil is almost melted, remove and whisk in the vanilla extract. Pour over the dry ingredients and toss to combine. Make sure everything is coated.
- Spread onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, stirring ever 10. During the last 10 minutes, remove from the oven and add the chocolate chips along with the chunks of almonds. Return to the oven and finish baking.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining ¼ tsp. of sea salt over top. Allow to cool for at least 1 hour before serving and 2 before storing. Store in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds, all opinions are my own.