Cheesy and savory egg muffins are simple, portable, and customizable. They make for filling grab-and-go breakfast bites!
Packed with tons of flavor in a bite-sized, carry-able portion makes these a go-to breakfast. They are a great way to kick-start the day! For more out the door breakfasts try French Toast Muffin Cups, Peaches and Cream Scones, and Mini Quiche.
A Perfect Grab-and-Go Breakfast!
I don’t know about you, but it seems like many mornings we are rushing out the door. On these days my family is frequently guilty of skipping breakfast, or grabbing something quick that probably isn’t the best way to gets those brains moving.
I love breakfast, I’m talking the hearty egg filled kind. However, that kind of smorgasbord usually only occurs on the weekends, if at all. So if I can have a taste of that bounty during the week then I’m all for it!
That’s where these egg muffins become the hero! They are filled with egg, sausage, and cheese for a savory grab-and-go breakfast of champions. They are quick and easy to make, but could also be reheated on those mornings where you just don’t have the time. You will want to add these to your must-make list now!!
How to Make Egg Muffins
PREP. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Use cooking spray to lightly grease 12 muffins cups. (You can also use 12 silicone muffin liners)
SAUSAGE. Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Cook the sausage until brown and crumbly. Drain.
COMBINE. Thoroughly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add in the onions, peppers, salt, pepper, garlic, and cheese. Stir.
BAKE. Pour the mixture into the greased muffin cups, or silicone liners, until they’re about 1/3 of the way full. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meat: Swap the sausage out for bacon or turkey bacon, or omit it entirely.
- Vegetables: Add or omit any vegetables as you please. Try red bell pepper, chopped fresh spinach, or cherry tomatoes cut in half.
- Cheese: Use a different shredded cheese blend like Monterey jack, mozzarella or a Mexican blend.
- Egg Whites: To increase the amount of protein and decrease the amount of fat, substitute some of the eggs for egg whites.
Keep leftovers STORED in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-5 days. REHEAT leftover egg muffins in the microwave until warmed through.
You can FREEZE these after baking very easily. Wrap them in plastic wrap and then pop all of them in a freezer safe bag for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to eat them from frozen you need to unwrap the plastic wrap, and wrap each one in a damp paper towel. Reheat in the microwave until warmed through.
Other egg based breakfast ideas:
- Spinach Quiche
- Overnight Sausage Egg and Croissant Breakfast Bake
- Homemade Eggs Benedict
- Hash Brown Egg Cups
Egg Muffins Recipe
- 1/2 lb bulk pork sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1/2 c chopped green bell pepper - or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese - shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Use cooking spray to lightly grease 12 muffins cups. (You can also use 12 silicone muffin liners)
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Cook the sausage until brown and crumbly. Drain.
- Thoroughly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add in the onions, peppers, salt, pepper, garlic, and cheese. Stir.
- Pour the mixture into the greased muffin cups, or silicone liners, until they're about 1/3 of the way full.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.