Glazed Apple Fritter Bread
Aside from buttermilk bars, apple fritters are one of my favorite doughnuts! I love their crunchy tops, sweet soft apples and all of that cinnamon. But a good apple fritter is hard to find… and making my own seemed a little too daunting with a newborn and toddler. So instead I made a loaf of this amazing glazed apple fritter bread!
I’ve made this bread twice now- it’s so easy and turns out beautifully every time. Plus you can easily double the recipe and freeze one loaf… that way you can enjoy it all fall long! You can use any variety of apples you want, I used one Granny Smith and one Fuji. Just peel them, core them and chop them up. Toss them in a mixture of brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon and swirl them into the batter.
Place the bread into the oven and bake it until the top is nice and crisp and the middle is set. The baking time will vary depending on the type of pan you use, your oven and your altitude, just check it at the 45 minute mark and let it go till 60 minutes if needed. As soon as it’s cool enough to remove it from the pan, whip up the glaze and drizzle it on top. Let it set for about 15 minutes and then slice it up!
I guarantee everyone will love this bread! It’s moist, tender and loaded with chunks of sweet apples. What’s not to love?!
Glazed Apple Fritter Bread Recipe
For the Apples
- 2 medium apples - peeled and finely chopped (1/4-inch pieces or smaller)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar - packed
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Bread
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp whole milk
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with baking spray or line with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the chopped apple, brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Toss to evenly coat the apples, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (with a hand mixer) or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg on low. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the butter one tablespoon at a time. Continue mixing until crumbs form, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, sour cream and milk. Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the bowl half way through.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Add half the apples mixture. Lightly pat the apples into the batter. Pour the remaining batter over top, then the remaining apples. Use a knife to swirl it together a bit.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the center is set. Baking time will vary, so watch it at the 45 minute mark & test for doneness. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool for 30 minutes in the pan before removing.
To Make the Glaze
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and 1 tbsp. of milk. Add more milk to reach desired consistency. Drizzle glaze over bread, allow 15 minutes for the glaze to firm up