You’d never guess that this decadent dessert is made with wholesome ingredients. It’s rich, moist and topped with a silky ganache!
Guys, I’m back with another cake recipe today. I’m warning you now, there will be a lot more CAKE coming to the blog over the next few months, so be prepared! This particular recipe is a little different because it’s kind of healthy and it’s sort of a brownie-snack cake hybrid. It’s made with ingredients like Greek yogurt, coconut oil, coconut sugar and oat flour. It’s gluten-free and refined sugar-free but tastes just like a regular rich and decadent chocolate cake. Don’t believe me? Give it a try and see for yourself!
To start, you’ll want to grab a microwave-safe bowl and melt your coconut oil. We want it to be in a liquid state for this particular recipe. We also want it it relatively hot so that it melts the chocolate chips. Stir them into the oil and when they’re nice and smooth, add the yogurt. I used Stonyfield’s Greek Vanilla Whole Milk Yogurt because really love the flavor, thickness and fat content it has- it’s great for baking!
Along with the yogurt, whisk in the vanilla, salt, baking soda, and coconut sugar (I used Bob’s Red Mill). You’ll also whisk in the oat flour, I used my food processor to blend my own (from old fashioned rolled oats), however, you can purchase it too. Stir in the reserved chocolate chips and allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes.
Spread the mixture into a lined 8×8-inch baking pan. I prefer using a metal pan for brownies because it slowly absorbs heat as it bakes, which means your brownies are less likely to burn around the edges. Place it in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Make sure not to over-bake the cake or it’ll be dry and crumbly! Remove the pan from oven and allow the cake to cool completely before adding the ganache.
To prepare the ganache, in a 2 c. glass measuring cup, combine chocolate chips and milk. Microwave it on half powder (mine is usually power 10, so I did 5) for one minute, stir, then repeat. Add the Greek yogurt, then stir continuously until it becomes silky smooth, about 1 minute. Spread it over the top of the brownies and add sprinkles! Totally optional btw, but definitely recommended 🙂
Toss the pan into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes so the ganache will set up. P.S. you can also use my skinny peanut butter frosting instead, if you want something thicker and more frosting-like… it’s REALLY GOOD!
Cut and serve with a big glass of milk. Don’t worry about eating 2 or three slices, because this snack cake is a whole lot healthier than the old-fashioned chocolate cake! 😉
Healthier Chocolate Snack Cake Recipe
For the Brownies
- 1/4 cup +2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips - (60% cacao), divided
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt* - room temperature, we like Stonyfield Whole Milk Greek Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar - We like Bob's Red Mill
- 3/4 cup oat flour**
For the Ganache
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla Greek yogurt - room temperature, we like Stonyfield Whole Milk Greek Vanilla Yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8x8-inch metal pan with foil or parchment paper, then lightly coat with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the coconut oil. Microwave on medium heat until the oil has completely liquified. Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips, stirring until the chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in the Greek yogurt, then stir in the vanilla, salt, baking soda, coconut sugar, oat flour, and remaining chocolate chips. Allow the batter to sit for 5 minutes.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before adding the ganache.
For the Ganache
- In a 2 c. glass measuring cup, combine chocolate chips and milk. Microwave on half powder (mine is usually power 10, so I did 5) for one minute, stir, then repeat. Add the Greek yogurt, then stir continuously until it becomes silky smooth, about 1 minute. Spread over the top of the brownies, add sprinkles if desired. Place in the refrigerator to set for 30 minutes to allow the ganache to set before cutting and serving.
**I blended old-fashioned oats and then measured out the oat flour, however, you can buy oat flour in the bulk section of your grocery store or on the baking aisle.
I’m partnering with Bob’s Red Mill and Stonyfield as a member of their Clean Plate Club to bring you today’s recipe. I received this product for review, all opinions are my own. Thank you for helping me work with brands I love!