These healthy oatmeal cookies are made with applesauce, maple syrup, and chocolate chips. Who knew something so healthy could be so tasty?!
Chewy + Delicious
Sometimes you just need a sweet treat! It’s always nice if that sweet treat is more on the healthy side though. Well, these healthy oatmeal cookies are sweet and delicious and will quench that sweet craving without all of the guilt.
We love oatmeal cookies at our house (have you tried our Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies or my personal favorite, M&M Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies?). They are chewy and so yummy. While I put chocolate chips in this version, you are welcome to add your favorite nut or even raisins.
These make tasty after school treats. And don’t tell, but we may snack on these at breakfast too!!
How to make healthy oatmeal cookies
PREP. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
DOUGH. Add the brown sugar, white sugar, syrup, coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and stir well. Fold in the oats and chocolate chips.
CHILL. Cover and Chill for 30 minutes.
BAKE. Use a cookie scoop and add dough balls the lined baking trays. Be sure that they are all 2 inches apart. Bake for 15-17 minutes until sides are just beginning to brown.
COOL. Allow them to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
*Tip*: To avoid a dry cookie, make sure the dough is moist enough! You might find that adding more honey, maple syrup, or even peanut butter can really change the dough from crumbly to moist.
Here are a few ways you can easily change up these cookies…
- Add ¼ c dried fruit
- Add ¼ c raw or toasted nuts
- Use alternative oils and sugars, like coconut oil and coconut sugar, to fit your dietary needs and customize it to your taste!
- Make them chewy by using a food processor to pulverize the oatmeal into an oat flour.
STORE baked cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to a week. You can also store the dough in the fridge for 7-10 days before baking.
FREEZE leftover cookies in an airtight bag in the freezer for up to 6 months. Freeze cookie dough wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, and thaw in the fridge before baking.
Other oatmeal cookie recipes:
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
- Trail Mix Oatmeal Cookies
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Healthy Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
- ½ c brown sugar
- ¼ c sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ c coconut oil - melted
- ¼ c unsweetened Applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ c all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ c rolled oats
- ½ c chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
- Add the brown sugar, white sugar, syrup, coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and stir well.
- Fold in the oats and chocolate chips. Cover and Chill for 30 minutes.
- Use a cookie scoop and add dough balls the lined baking trays. Be sure that they are all 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. Until sides are just beginning to brown.
- Allow them to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.