Get the party started with a giant bowl of this salty, crunchy Italian Chex mix! It’s tossed in a buttery Italian herb sauce and a whole lot of grated parmesan cheese. Mmmm!
We’re no strangers to Chex mix around here. We love making big batches of it around the holidays. I generally stick to the classic recipe, amping up the sauce a little because who doesn’t love that salty, garlicy butter sauce, am I right?
After all of our new year cleaning I found a bag of soup and oyster crackers that I had forgotten all about. We love soup, but never in a million years could we conquer that amount of teeny tiny saltines… and our kids love crackers. I used those along with a tin of cashews and whatever else we had on hand. This mix may seem a little random (it totally is) but it all works out in the end, I promise!
You’ll want to grab your BIGGEST mixing bowl and combine the cereal, crackers, pretzels and cashews. Then in a small microwave safe bowl heat the butter until it has melted.
Whisk in the olive oil, worcestershire (or balsamic if you want a more pronounced Italian flavor), salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and cayenne (or red pepper flakes). Whisk, whisk and whisk again until combined. Pour the sauce over the dry ingredients and toss to evenly coat.
Pour the mix onto a rimmed baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Toss into the oven and bake for 40 minutes, stirring at the 15 and 30 minute mark. Pull it from the oven and sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over top. Let it cool completely before storing it. This will help it stay dry and crunchy. Serve it up at your next big gathering and watch it disappear in no time!
Italian Chex Mix
- 3 c. Chex corn cereal
- 3 c. Premium soup & oyster crackers
- 3 c. Cheez-It crackers
- 2 c. pretzels - any shape
- 2 c. roasted cashews - unsalted or lightly salted
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. worcestershire or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1/4 c. quality grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, set aside.
- In an extra large mixing bowl, combine the Chex, Premium crackers, Cheez-It crackers, pretzels, and cashews.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, add the butter. Place in the microwave and heat for 45 seconds to 1 minute on HIGH. Stir until completely melted.
- Add the olive oil, worcestershire (or balsamic), salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, and cayenne (or red pepper flakes) to the melted butter. Whisk until combined. Pour over the dry ingredients and toss to evenly coat.
- Pour onto the prepared baking sheet, spread evenly, and bake for 40 minutes, stirring at the 15 and 30 minute mark.
- Remove from the oven and toss with parmesan. Allow to cool completely before serving or storing.