I know what you must be thinking – this girl is obsessed with funfetti. Yeah, you’re pretty much right 🙂 The other day when I was at work, I was organizing our baking shelf and an idea for patrotic cupcakes popped into my head… funfetti with a surprise star in the middle! What could be more fun?!?! Since Stephen and I celebrated early (we went to a BBQ tonight), I thought it would be a great treat to take and I’d be able to share it with you just in time for the 4th! These are soft and moist vanilla cupcakes that are bursting with red, white and blue sprinkles. They’ve got a swirled star in the middle and are topped with a light and fluffy vanilla buttercream. These may not be apple pie, but they’re pretty darn good and festive too! Happy 4th of July- enjoy the fireworks!
Patriotic Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter - room temperature
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- red and blue food coloring
- 1/2 cup red, white and blue jimmies
- 3 1/2-4 cups powdered sugar
- 16 Tbsp (2 sticks) butter - room temperature
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pnch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one standard cupcake pans with liners, set aside. Line the bottom of one standard size loaf pan with parchment paper, lightly coating it with baking spray and flour, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla bean paste, vanilla extract and almond extract. With mixing speed on low, add egg, then egg yolk, mixing until just combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a glass measuring cup mix together sour cream and milk. With mixing speed on low, alternate dry and wet ingredients, mix until batter is smooth and homogeneous (being careful not to over mix).
- Remove bowl from stand. Portion out ¾ c. batter into on small mixing bowl, and ¾ c. of batter into another mixing bowl. Dye one red, and the other blue. Gently swirl the two together in the prepared loaf pan (don’t go too crazy or you’ll end up with purple). Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the cake is set. Once the cake has cooled, remove from pan and cut out star shapes (you’ll want to use a small star, about 1″ in diameter and ½”- ¾” thick/depth so that it fits nicely into the cupcake liner with room for the cupcake to bake around it).
Recipe source: adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction, Funfetti Cupcakes