When I was thinking of things to bake for Valentine’s Day, these cookies immediately came to mind (along with a hundred other recipes I’ve pinned on Pinterest). I asked my mom for the recipe and was so surprised how simple they were to make. Usually we just do a thumbprint in the center when we bake them for Christmas, but instead, I did a heart. You can fill them with any kind of jam you have on hand- strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, etc.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine shortening, peanut butter and sugar. Beat until creamy.
- Add vanilla, salt and egg. Mix until combined. Then, with speed on low, gradually add flour until incorporated (the dough will become thick).
- Using a standard cookie scoop, create a ball of dough. Using your thumb or a spoon, press a deep circle into the center of the cookie. Place on an ungreased sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, until cookies are golden brown (they will look like they are cracking but once they come out of the oven they usually sink and the cracks disappear).
- Remove from oven, gently/carefully press down the center if it has become shallow. Transfer immediately to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, using a small spoon, fill with jam.