Peppermint Hot Cocoa
This rich and creamy peppermint hot chocolate is a festive way to warm up on chilly winter nights! And the peppermint flavor is perfect for the holidays too!
Favorite Holiday Hot Cocoa
I love homemade hot chocolate! It is so much creamier, richer and thicker than the prepackaged stuff! And it so quick and easy to make!
I wanted to create a hot cocoa mix that tasted like Christmas! So I tossed some leftover candy canes in the food processor, grabbed a bar of peppermint bark and some peppermint extract, and got to work.
This hot cocoa was amazing! It had just the right amount of mint and chocolate and it really put me in the holiday spirit! Plus it looks beautiful when you top it with whipped cream and crushed candy canes!
How to Make Peppermint Hot Cocoa
Everything went into a medium saucepan on the stovetop. After simmering on low for about 10 minutes it was ready. Easy, right?!
This would be great in a slow cooker as well, especially to serve at holiday parties or family gatherings. Double or triple the recipe and let it cook on low for about 2 hours. People can enjoy hot chocolate straight from the crockpot all night long!
*You can substitute peppermint oil for peppermint extract but peppermint oil is four times as potent as peppermint extract and has a more intense flavor, so it should be used in little amounts.
Hot Cocoa Toppings
We served ours with a big dollop of freshly whipped cream, miniature marshmallows and a sprinkle of crushed candy cane.
You could also top it with:
- Christmas sprinkles
- mini white/chocolate chips
- full-size candy cane
This cozy peppermint hot cocoa is a recipe you’ll definitely want to make this holiday season. It was thick, creamy, and minty, exactly what I wanted!
For more peppermint treats:
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies
- Peppermint Stick Ice Cream
- Peppermint Frosted Brownies
- Homemade Peppermint Bark
- Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 c. whole milk
- 1 c. half & half
- ⅔ c. homemade hot cocoa mix
- 2 oz. chopped peppermint bark
- 3 tbsp. crushed candy cane
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- pinch kosher sea salt
- Optional garnishes:
- Whipped cream
- Mini marshmallows
- Crushed candy cane
- Chocolate sauce
- Set a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add milk, half & half, cocoa mix, peppermint bark, crushed candy cane, peppermint extract, and salt. Bring to a low simmer, whisking frequently. Allow the cocoa to simmer for 10 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Divide between mugs, garnish as desired.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple