Quick & Easy Horchata
Today I’m teaming up with Zulka® to share a quick and easy recipe for horchata! With Día de los Muertos fast approaching, I thought it would be fun to make a simplified version of this tasty & traditional Mexican drink. It’s made with just a few pantry-staple ingredients and comes together in only 45 minutes!
Do you love horchata? I do! It was definitely love at first sip. The sweet cinnamon flavor and the chunky texture are irresistible! But if you’ve ever made it at home you probably know what a long process it can be. Most recipes want you to let it rest or chill for 8+ hours, sometimes up to 24! I definitely don’t have time for that… I’m sure the feeling is mutual. So I decided to whip up quick & easy version using Zulka® Morena Sugar.
Zulka® offers three Non-GMO Project Verified sugars that come from freshly harvested sugar cane: Zulka® Morena Sugar, Powdered Sugar and Brown Sugar. They all have a natural, unrefined flavor & rich color that makes it them the ideal replacement for conventional sugars. Did I mention that you don’t have to do any crazy conversions? It’s a cup-for-cup substitute! I used 1/3 cup of sugar to sweeten the rice/milk mixture, feel free to add more or less.
Like most recipes, you need to boil the rice in water/milk along with lots and lots of cinnamon and a pinch of salt! When the rice is tender you’ll let it come to room temperature and then blend it with more milk, a bit of vanilla and sugar. Using a high-power blender will create a smooth texture, although if you want it to be ultra smooth, strain it through a mesh sieve or cheesecloth. Cover and chill the mixture for an hour or two then serve it up with ice (that is if you don’t drink it right away)! The longer it rests in the refrigerator the better it will taste. Although it’s pretty darn good from the get-go!
I hope you’ll enjoy this sweet drink as much as I did! It’s the perfect way to celebrate just any holiday, but especially Día de los Muertos or Cinco de Mayo!
Zulka® Pure cane sugars are available at most major retailers as well as local grocery stores too! Make sure to follow Zulka® on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram for coupons, recipes & lots of inspiration!
Quick & Easy Horchata Recipe
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup almond milk - OR coconut milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure cane sugar - We like Zulka Morena
- In a medium size pot, combine the rice, water, almond milk, cinnamon sticks, cinnamon, and salt, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover, and allow to cook for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and add the rice mixture to a blender along with the remaining ingredients. Blend on high for 1 to 3 minutes until very smooth.
- If you prefer a smooth consistency, pour over a mesh sieve into a large pitcher or pour in as-is. Chill until ready to serve.
Disclosure: this post is sponsored by Zulka® Pure Cane Sugars. As always, all opinions are my own.