When I found out about the tragic events of Sandy Hook Elementary I was on my way to work. The rest of the day was a blur. It was all I could think about. When I got home that night I hugged Stephen tight and prayed that those families would feel peace and comfort. May God bless them and their loved ones. As part of the blogger community, I’d like to dedicate this post/recipe to the Cookies & Crafts for Sandy Hook tribute. As many of you know, peanut butter is one of my all-time favorite things to eat. Yes, I’m 24, but there’s just something about it that I love! I also love peanut butter cups, so this cookie is really a hit for me! I think you and you’re family will love these too, so go ahead, make a batch and enjoy them together! Remember to tell those around you that you love them and hug them tight. Think of those who are less fortunate than you and pray for those who have suffered a loss. We all need to take more time in our busy days to slow down and enjoy the many blessings God has given us, especially our families. My heart goes out to the community of Newtown Connecticut, we are thinking of you-
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter - room temperature
- 1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugars, butter and peanut butter. Beat for 2 minutes or until smooth. Add vanilla, then mix. Add egg then egg yolk. Mix until just combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients- mix until just combined.
- Remove bowl from stand and gently fold in Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup chunks. Form balls of dough using a standard size cookie scoop. Place on sheet and gently pat down with the palm of your hand (just flatten it slightly or use a fork and make a criss cross pattern in each).
- Place in oven and bake for 12-14 minutes. Cookies will be slightly soft, but that’s ok. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with a big glass of cold milk!
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 173mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 132IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg
Adapted from the Magnolia Bakery Cookbook, Peanut Butter Cookies