Take your carrot side dish from boring to absolutely amazing! These Browned Butter Roasted Carrots have a sweet and nutty flavor. They are crisp on the edges and tender in the center, making this the perfect side dish!
If you love browned butter too then you will probably also love browned butter snickerdoodles, browned butter pear crisp, and browned butter toffee pecan bites! All of these are delicious and perfect for brown butter lovers!
I love roasted veggies, they make the perfect side dish. Oven-roasted vegetables have a crispy outer edge, tender in the center and their flavors just pop. And today’s Browned Butter Roasted Carrots top the list of favorite roasted vegetables.
I love how simple these roasted carrots are. You probably have all the ingredients already on hand. All you need is carrots, maple syrup, butter, and salt.
The key to taking your carrots to the next level is, browned butter! If you have spent any time on my site, you know I love browned butter. It adds a nutty flavor and takes your recipes from good to amazing!.
How to Make Roasted Carrots
Prep: First prepare your carrots. You can use baby carrots which are already peeled and washed or you can use regular-sized carrots. If you are using regular, make sure to wash them well, peel and cut them into 2 ½ inch chunks. (peeling is optional if you don’t mind the carrots outer skin) Place carrots on a standard size baking sheet.
Sauce: Melt butter in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat. Once melted begin whisking constantly. The butter will begin to foam. Continue whisking until you begin to see small brown flecks form at the bottom of the pan and it has a nutty aroma. (about 5-8 minutes). Remove from the heat
*Be careful to not burn the butter! You want it browned but not burned.
Then pour your browned butter into a small mixing bowl, add maple syrup and salt. Mix until fully blended
Roasting: Drizzle sauce over the carrots and toss to evenly coat. Place in a 375-degree oven and bake for 25-35 minutes. Check the carrots around the 20-minute mark with a fork to see if they are tender. Continue baking as needed (the thicker carrots will need longer).
How to Change them Up, Store + Reheat
These carrots are amazing but you might want to change it up a little bit! Here are some options:
- Brown sugar – instead of syrup add 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Garlic – 2 cloves added to the sauce or use ½ tsp garlic powder
- Honey – 2 tbsp instead of syrup
- Rosemary – 1 tbsp add to the sauce
- Parmesan – sprinkle over the carrots before roasting
You can make these carrots ahead of time and keep them in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Reheat them over medium-high heat on the stovetop, tossing constantly (about 5 minutes).
These carrots make the perfect side dish for Thanksgiving dinner or with your favorite chicken, beef, or pork dish! Enjoy!
Find more delicious roasted vegetable recipes here:
Browned Butter Roasted Carrots Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb carrots - peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp kosher sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place carrots on a standard size baking sheet.
- In a small heavy-bottom stainless saucepan set over medium-low heat, add the butter. Once melted begin whisking constantly. The butter will begin to foam, then the bubbles will widen and dissipate. Continue whisking until you begin to see small brown flecks form at the bottom of the pan and it will smell nutty. This generally takes about 5-8 minutes. Remove from the heat, taking care not to burn the butter.
- Pour into a small mixing bowl. Whisk with maple syrup and salt.
- Drizzle over the carrots and toss to coat. Place in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes. Check the carrots around the 20-minute mark with a fork to see if they are tender. Continue baking as needed (the thicker carrots will need longer).
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.