Browned Butter Pear Crisp
I love apple crisp & peach crisp, but I have to say, this browned butter pear crisp tops them both! It’s sweet, packed full of cinnamon and topped with the most amazing browned butter topping. Oh, and it super easy to throw together!!
This recipe was sort of a happy accident. We by pears in bulk during the fall and had a bunch of ripe ones laying around. I blended some with apples (homemade cinnamon pear-applesauce is the bomb btw) and used the rest in this crisp. Because the pears were super ripe, I didn’t need to add a whole lot of sugar to the filling. I also opted not to peel them. You can do it if you really want to, but the texture didn’t bother me one bit.
Anyway, after I had the pears sliced up, I tossed them in a bit of lemon juice along with some sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and a pinch of cardamom <- it’s kind of my favorite spice to use with pears!! You can buy a tiny bit of it in the bulk spice section of most grocery stores… that way you don’t have to spend $9 on a jar that you’ll only use a few times a year.
I poured the filling into a gratin dish, although you could use a 8×8 square dish. Then I got to work on the topping. Also super easy! I browned the butter on the stovetop and then poured it into a bowl of whisked flour, brown sugar, oats, salt, baking soda and baking powder. As soon as crumbles formed, I sprinkled it over the pears and then tossed it into the oven to bake.
After about 40 minutes the topping was nice and brown and the pears were super tender. Oh, and our house smelled h-e-a-v-e-n-l-y! 20 minutes after letting it rest we dug in. The crisp was still warm enough to melt our big ole scoop of vanilla ice cream. We licked our bowls clean!!!
This crisp was warm, cozy and perfect for the chilly fall evening we had. It’s a tasty spin on apple crisp and is great with a handful of cranberries tossed in too! Enjoy & happy baking!!
Browned Butter Pear Crisp Recipe
- 6 bartlett pears - cored and cut into 1/4" slices
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom - optional
For the Topping
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set aside an 8x8 square baking dish or a medium size gratin dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the pears in the lemon juice. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and cardamom. Sprinkle over the pears and toss to coat, pour into the baking dish.
- In a medium size mixing bowl whisk together the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, add the 4 tablespoons of butter. Heat until the butter foams then begins to brown and become speckled (about 3-5 minutes), whisking every so often. Pour into the bowl with the topping ingredients and mix until crumbles form. Sprinkle over the filling.
- Place in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes or until pears are tender and topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 20 minutes, serve warm.
-You can toss in 2/3 c. of fresh cranberries to the filling, just increase the granulated sugar to 1/3 c.
-You can add 1/4 c. of your favorite finely chopped nuts to the topping.