Sweet Strawberry Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter - room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strawberry flavored Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup strawberry puree - about 6 strawberries
- 6 strawberries - diced into 1/2" chunks
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-2 drops red food coloring *
- 2-2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter - room temperature
- 2 Tbsp fresh strawberry puree - about 2 strawberries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one standard muffin tin with liners, set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, greek yogurt and strawberry puree, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest (and food coloring) until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg, then egg white and mix just until combined.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to the bowl. Mix until just combined. Remove bowl from stand and fold in the strawberry chunks.
- Fill each cupcake liner ¾ of the way full. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the tops begin to turn golden brown and the cupcakes spring back nicely when touched. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cupcakes are cooling, to prepare buttercream, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together butter, strawberry puree, vanilla and salt (for about 1 minute). With mixing speed on low, gradually add the powdered sugar. Beat for 3-4 minutes until the frosting becomes light and fluffy. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes as desired.
-Please DO NOT substitute or omit any of the ingredients. For the BEST strawberry cupcakes follow the recipe exactly.
Recipe source: adapted from Martha Stewart, Sprinkles’ Strawberry Cupcakes & Sally’s Baking Addiction, Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
**NOTE: The pictures & recipe above have been UPDATED 7/9/2014!**