Extra Crunchy Turkey Black Bean Tacos
This is my go-to turkey taco recipe! It’s flavorful, loaded with protein and can easily serve a crowd. Pop them in the oven and bake them for melty cheese and extra crunch.
Taco Tuesday, here we come! These tacos are going to be the star of your next fiesta! They’re SUPER flavorful thanks to a homemade seasoning mix, loaded with protein (hello turkey and black beans), topped with lots of cheese and baked to perfection.
Lately I’ve been experimenting with ground turkey. And you know what? My family can’t even tell the difference! I usually cook with lean ground beef, but I love idea of mixing things up a bit. I used the recipe for my favorite ground beef tacos, swapped out the beef with turkey and added refried black beans and whole black beans. Then I filled the taco shells, sprinkled them with cheese and green onions and popped them into the oven to bake.
The cheese got nice and gooey, the onions softened and the taco shells were extra crunchy. These are my kind of tacos folks!
We topped ours with shredded lettuce, more green onion, chunks of tomato + avocado, a bit of hot sauce and a dollop or two of sour cream. I also made a side of spanish rice, which btw, is always a hit at our house!
This easy, delicious dinner is perfect for those hectic weeknights, it’s also great for entertaining! I hope you’ll give this recipe a try!
Extra Crunchy Turkey Black Bean Tacos Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion - minced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika - OR regular
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 cup low-sodium refried black beans
- 1 cup low sodium black beans - rinsed
- 10-12 taco shells
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar - pepper jack or moneterey jack cheese (or a blend)
- 2 green onions - thinly sliced (optional)
- green onion - sliced
- pico de gallo
- lettuce - shredded
- avocado - OR guacamole
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9x13-inch rimmed baking pan with parchment paper or foil; set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot add the onion, sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and seasonings. Continue to sauté until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook until until it begins to brown, breaking it apart into small chunks with a spatula or wooden spoon. When the meat is cooked throughout, pour in the tomato sauce, chicken broth, and apple cider vinegar. Simmer until about half of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in refried black beans and 1 cup whole black beans. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon about ⅓ cup turkey-black bean mixture into each taco shell and place in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons shredded cheese and a few slices of green onion.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and serve tacos with your favorite toppings.