This morning I was souring the kitchen for something to eat for breakfast. I really wanted to make a batch of my buttermilk pancakes, but realized that I had a bunch of zucchini that needed to be used. So instead of pancakes I grated the summer squash and used up the last bit of bran I had to make these zucchini bread bran muffins. They’re a spin of off my whole wheat bran muffins… a recipe I really love!
Unlike my whole wheat bran muffins, these golden beauties are a little more “decadent.” Instead of whole wheat flour I opted for all-purpose, I went with full-fat buttermilk, and I also added some chopped nuts and chocolate. To make these taste a little more like classic zucchini bread I upped the cinnamon, sprinkled in nutmeg and added some granulated sugar along with few more tablespoons of brown sugar. Lightly spiced and ever so slightly sweet. Just what I like when it comes to breakfast muffins. So let’s get started, shall we?
In a small mixing bowl or a 2 c. glass measuring cup, combine all of the wet ingredients. You’ll need 1 c. + 2 tbsp. of buttermilk, an egg, oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Once you’ve mixed them up, add the grated zucchini. I prefer finely grated, but coarse is ok too. Now it’s time to whisk together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. That includes the wheat bran (I used Bob’s Red Mill), flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, mix it up and then fold in some chopped nuts or chocolate.
Once the you’ve got the batter mixed up, divide between a standard size muffin tin. I used green silicone baking cups from The New York Baking Company to line some of my muffins with. I love that they give the same effect of muffins baked without liners, except you don’t have to spray or butter the pans! Plus they peel away easily from the muffins and are effortless when it comes to cleaning them (always a huge bonus in my book)! Place the muffins into a 425 degree oven to bake for 14-16 minutes. Let ‘em cool for a few minutes and then enjoy! These muffins should last on your counter for a few days. Not only do they make great little breakfast muffins, but they’re also great mid-day snacks too! Enjoy!
Zucchini Bread Bran Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup zucchini - finely grated *
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour **
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped nuts or chocolate
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray or line one muffin tin, set aside.
- In a small glass measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, oil, sugars, vanilla and grated zucchini.
- In a separate mixing bowl whisk together the bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually pour in the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Gently fold in the nuts or chocolate.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared pan, dividing evenly between the wells. Place in the oven and bake for 14-16 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
**You can use only whole-wheat flour, only all-purpose flour, or a ½ c. whole-wheat flour + ½ c. all-purpose flour. They taste great no matter what you use!
Recipe source: adapted from my Whole Wheat Bran Muffins
This is not a paid or sponsored post, however I received free product from The New York Baking Company in exchange for my review. All recipes and opinions are my own.