Rich Fudgy Flourless Brownies

This past Sunday we were both craving our favorite brownies. They’re thick, chewy and incredibly rich, just the way we like ’em. As I started to gather up the ingredients to make them, I realized that we were short on both flour and cocoa powder. That simply wouldn’t do. So we scratched that idea and instead decided that we’d make these rich fudgy flourless brownies. No flour and only 1 tbsp. of cocoa powder required = problem solved.

Rich Fudgy Flourless Brownies

I’m no stranger to flourless baked goods. I’ve actually made flourless brownies before, but I was a little disappointed by their texture. This time around I made sure to add a few things that would make these brownies soft, tender and most important, chewy. I started by melting the butter and then adding the sugar to it. That way the sugar had a chance to dissolve a bit and wouldn’t leave the brownies with grainy texture. Then I added the chopped bittersweet chocolate to that mixture and let it melt. Once it was nice and smooth I removed it from the heat and added my eggs and vanilla extract. [Side note: it’s always important to add your vanilla extract after you’ve heated your mixture otherwise it will cook off and you’ll end up having to add more]

Rich Fudgy Flourless Brownies

After incorporating the eggs and vanilla I used a mesh sieve to sift the cocoa powder and cornstarch into the saucepan (which helped eliminate large clumps of cocoa). The cornstarch is absolutely necessary in this recipe, it binds, thickens and keeps these brownies moist, so don’t omit it! I then sprinkled in the salt and then got out my hand mixer. Since you need to beat the mixture for up to 2 minutes I’d suggest using one. If you don’t have one prepare to use your muscles (and a wooden spoon)! You’ll want to beat it until the batter is smooth and shiny. it will look a bit glossy and start to pull away from the edges of the pan. Finally, I poured the batter into my prepared pan and baked it for 22 minutes. Wait, what?! Yep. These brownies require minimal baking time. The more you bake them the more fragile they get and you’ll end up with a pan of dry crumbly brownies.

Rich Fudgy Flourless Brownies

We were definitely happy with how these brownies came out. They were thick, soft and melted in our mouths. And look at those shiny cracked tops- they’re absolutely perfect! The bests part is that these only required a few pantry staples, no specialty ingredients and no black beans or avocados. Come on guys, those things just don’t belong in brownies! If you’re looking for a really good flourless (naturally gluten-free) brownie recipe, look no further! Enjoy :)

CLICK HERE FOR THE RECIPE!

Comments

1. says

I know you said the cornstarch was necessary but what about if you’re dealing with a sensitivity to corn? Do you think arrowroot powder could be substituted or maybe potato starch? Looks so delicious! I definitely plan to try them!

• says

Hi Bre! I’ve actually never used arrowroot powder before so I’m not sure about that, but I think potato starch should work just fine! Let me know!

• Elizabeth says

Hi! I was just wondering how they taste after a couple of days (around 3-4 days granted that they aren’t devoured the first day). Do they stay chewy and moist?

• says

Hi Elizabeth! We had ours around for probably 2-3 days and they started to dry out a bit, but not bad. Just make sure to keep them in an air-tight container. You can always use the old trick of putting a piece parchment paper or wax paper over the top of them and then adding slice of bread to keep them extra fresh. This trick works with most baked goods- if you’re gluten-free I’m sure it would work with GF bread too :)

• says

I’m sorry, that’s so frustrating! I’m not sure why people are having such mixed results! What kind of pan did you use, and did you make separate pans for each batch?

• Jenn says

I had the same experience – they looked completely uncooked and just bubbling when I checked them at 22 min and based on the bubbling and consistency, I didn’t feel keeping them in longer would have any effect. They did harden a bit when cooling but still crumbled when I tried to take them out of the pan and a 9″x9″ pan was way too big – they were thinner than cookies. So disappointed as the photo looked delicious…!

• Vivian says

I’ve used arrowroot and tapioca starch in place of the cornstarch and both work great! Corn is a problem in our home. These brownies are delicious!

2. Anna Thomas says

I adjusted this to accommodate a milk allergy, using 6 TBS coconut oil for sugar and Enjoy Life dairy free chocolate chunks. Rave reviews from everyone.

• says

Maybe flaxseed or applesauce? I’ve never tried making them without eggs, so I can’t really say what would work. (to sub out 2 eggs- mix 2 tbsp. of ground flaxseed + 1/2 c. water, let it sit in the refrigerator) or (to sub out 2 eggs with unsweetened applesauce- add 1/2 c. applesauce + 1/4 tsp. baking powder and bake for a little less time). I hope those suggestions help, let me know how they turn out!

• Bailey says

I realize this is way late, but my go-to egg replacement in baking is ground flax mixed with water and let sit for a few moment. It’s a 1-1 ratio, and about 1T per egg iirc. Lighter flavored recipes get a slightly nutty flavor, but that can work to your advantage. My absolute favorite (well, pre-GF) is subbing it in spice cake with brown sugar frosting. It’s amazing.

• Felicia Lorin says

I’ve had great success substituting eggs with silken tofu, yogurt, and bananas. about 1/4 cup equals 1 egg. Good luck!

• tina says

Most people substitute chia seeds or flax seed meal for eggs and I believe you are suppose to let them sit in water and they will start to form a gel like consistency.

3. Sherron says

Question- when do you take the pan off of the heat? Is it still on the burner when you are stirring in the cocoa and cornstarch? or do you take it off of the burner and then add the cocoa and stir? I want to try this but don’t want to burn it before it even makes it to the oven!

4. says

I made a triple batch of these today for a wedding shower. I cut them into heart shapes, topped with a raspberry and a sprinkle of cocoa powder. Amazing! Thanks for the tasty recipe! ( I subbed arrowroot flour as I hadn’t any cornstarch, it worked just fine!)

5. Jess says

Just curious… I have all the ingredients to make these except the baking chocolate. (No chips or anything like that, just have cocoa.) Should I wait til I can get some to try these, or would they be alright without that ingredient? Thanks~

6. Jennifer S. says

Best Gluten-Free Brownies EVER! They are indeed chewy, fudgy, and *GASP* taste like “real” brownies without being gritty or dry! I made them for my nephew’s 18th birthday tonight. Some of us don’t do well with corn, so I did sub an equal amount of arrowroot starch for the cornstarch. I also used 8 oz. (using a kitchen scale) of the dark chocolate chips I had on hand instead of chopping a bar of semi-sweet chocolate. They were a hit. I’ve been baking GF for 3.5 years and this is only GF brownie recipe I’ve encountered that I deem worthy of keeping. Thank you!!!

7. Anncad00 says

These are amazing! I’ve made them numerous times, each time the get better. Any thoughts on using brown sugar instead of granulated? Thanks!!!

• says

Yay! I love to hear that! I think brown sugar sounds amazing! I’d definitely keep a little granulated sugar in their though, just my personal preference I guess. They should be nice and moist! Let me know if you try it out :)

• says

If I was in the mood for chocolate and had two chocoalte bars in the house… I doubt I would make brownies. I think I would just eat the chocolate, hahaha.

Any chance you have a recipe for flourless brownies using only cocoa powder? I always have a ton of that.

8. Kristina says

These brownies are by far the BEST brownies I have EVER made…hands down!!! Gluten free or not, these were absolutely perfect!!! Thank you!!!

9. Amanda says

Amazing! I subbed out the butter for half coconut oil /half palm shortening then potato starch for corn starch so mine are gluten, dairy, corn and soy free! They still turned out perfectly with that thin, slightly crispy “skin” on top and an ooey-gooey center. Thank you, Natalie!

• Carrie says

I’m doing a batch with butter and a batch with coconut oil for a potluck. I don’t have a sieve or sifter though – any suggestions? Also is it okay to use semi-sweet chips rather than the bars?

• says

Hi Carrie- you could use a whisk, just be sure whisk it for a few minutes so you don’t have any clumps. And yes, totally ok to use chips!

10. Idunn says

Best gluten free brownies I have ever made, they tasted like heaven! Thanks a lot, will definitely bake these again!

11. debbie holzherr says

I Followed this recipe to the T. Baked the time recommended. Use foil to line and sprayed with cooling sorayn. Let cool. Stuck to foik and completely under done. They tasted great but almost like raw batter
    baked in pyrex but lined with the foil. Any changes suggestedm. Have electric oven. I an a very experienced baker.

• says

Hi Debbie. I’m not sure what the issue would be… maybe just double-check that you added all of the ingredients and the correct amounts. The baking time could vary by a few minutes depending on your oven and the altitude where you live, but they definitely should not be raw.

• ivy says

I also had an undercooked result using Pyrex with foil over it. Wish I saw this comment earlier. Eating with a fork!

• says

Hmmm, I’m really stumped. I baked mine in a metal pan, maybe that’s part of the issue? I also live at 4,000 ft. so things tend to bake a little faster…

12. Rachel says

Hi Natalie, I just finished making these brownies and was wondering what you mean by “wait until the brownies are set.” When I put a toothpick in the center they are still a little gooey but the top of the brownies have that crisp layer. Are they done?

• says

Hi Rachel! The top should be nice and crisp and underneath will be slightly more soft than normal brownies, just because they don’t have any flour. I prefer waiting to slice my brownies until they’ve cooled completely and set. Everything will firm up a bit, you can definitely speed the process up by refrigerating which will help too.

13. says

I have just made these and they are currently in the oven and I have just realised that I forgot to add salt!? Will this make any difference?? :) can’t wait to try them

14. Chloe Smith says

Oh goodness, I think I did something wrong….
    So I did everything according to the recipe, except we didn’t have eggs. So I substituted them with the unsweetened apple sauce and backing powder. Everything raised great and looked great, and I put it in the oven to cook. However, the timer went off, and I went to get them they are bubbling. Like they are boiling in the pan… I Don’t know if that’s normal or if I did something wrong. So just left them in the oven to cook a little longer. I guess we’ll see what happens….

• says

Hi Chloe, you definitely need to use eggs in this recipe! It’s what binds the brownies together and gives them substance, much like a flourless cake. Applesauce is a great substitute for butter or oil many bread/cake/muffin recipes but brownies and cookies, not so much. Hope that helps!

15. Jessica says

These are a lovely brownie. I will say, though, that the bake time was significantly longer than called for. I think it ended up being 40 minutes. I used an 8 x 8 metal pan and did not change the recipe. It was still like batter at 20 minutes and really jiggly at 30. But other than that a great recipe worth makinng again!

16. Emma says

Hiya, thanks for the great recipe. I’m making this for 100 people on sunday. If made friday evening would you just keep in the fridge until serving?

Thanks

• says

I’m sure they’d be fine in the fridge, they might get a little dried out but as long as you keep them in an airtight container they should last!

• Kristi says

Emma, when you made these for 100 people, did you cook them in larger pans (like a 9×13) or just lots of square pans. I’m wondering if I can make them in a 9×13. Thanks!

• Jacqueline says

Freezer! I freeze everything and sometimes placing it in the freezer makes it more moist when you thaw it out. I keep my brownies in the freezer and just pull them out as I crave🙆🏼

• says

Um, hello?! Why have I not thought of this!! I freeze just about everything else but I’ve never frozen brownies before… thanks for the awesome suggestion Jacqueline!

• says

Hi Jessi! I’ve never frozen them before, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to. I’d thaw them in the container or bag so they stay nice and moist. Hope that helps!

17. Bea says

Love this recipe, thanks for posting it. I tried it without sugar and used 1tbsp of maple syrup instead. It turned absolutely brilliant. A little bit crispy on the top and chewy instead. Will bake it definitely again.

18. Eleni says

Natalie this recipe is incredible!!
    I wanted to make it exactly per your instructions but I only had 4oz carob bits no chocolate. So I used 4oz carob bits 4oz sugar-free & salt-free smooth peanut butter and substituted the same amount of cornstarch with tapioca flour. The result: heavenly fudgey brownies with a hint of peanut butter and a crispy top. Had to bake them for 25min. And last minute put the pan under grill for extra crispy top. Amazing. The only thing I found was when I added the eggs they started to cook so next time, once off the heat, I’d let the batter cool for 10min before adding eggs.
    Keep the recipes coming!

19. Tiffany says

Hi Natalie! I tried making these brownies for a good friend of mine who has gluten and dairy allergies. I had to take some special precautions due to this (such as using dairy free chocolate chips and butter). I followed your directions exactly, but my brownies (after setting) were very chewy on the inside and hard as a rock around the edges! They are also sort of thin in my opinion. Any idea what I may have done wrong? Do you think using dairy free product would cause this or is it just a matter of baking them longer? They baked for 23 minutes.

Best,
    Tiffany

• says

Hmmm… it’s hard to say. I’ve used both dairy-free chocolate chips and butter before, but never in this recipe. My edges were just slightly crispier than the centers. What kind of pan did you use?

• Tiffany says

I just used a 9 inch square aluminized steel baking pan. It is a non-stick pan.
        I expected the edges to be crispy but somehow they were actually too hard to bite into. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had baked longer, but I even took them out to check just before the timer went off. The center was like a tough kind of chewy; sort of hard to bite off and then very chewy once you did. I’m wondering if the oven I used baked them unevenly; as I later found some parts to be perfect, whereas some were hard and some where chewy.
        I will have to try again and see what happens!

20. says

Sugar Free Version
    Great recipe! Thanks Natalie! I am enjoying these right now. Here is how I made them sugar free.
    I substituted 3/4 cup granulated sugar with 3/4 cup xylitol.
    I substituted 8oz semisweet chocolate, with 4 oz. Scharffen Berger unsweetened baking squares, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1/3 cup xylitol
    I also added 1 teaspoon ground flax seed, mixed with 1 teaspoon hot water, left it to sit or a few minutes, then added this after the second egg. (I used the 2 eggs in the recipe as well.)
    (Remember, you can’t eat a whole pan of xylitol dessert, or you will be sorry :) )

21. EJ says

OMG made these for a GF co-worker and everyone LOVES them. We are serving with strawberries since they are SO rich.
    Baker’s notes:
    • I did not line the pans, I used the store-bout aluminum ones and a butter spray (smart balance butter flavor).
    • I used a dark glass saucepan very low heat and stirred the sugar into the butter for a while.
    • I used ½ semi-sweet and ½ dark chocolate for an added richness. It was Ghirardelli chocolate because the quality for melting/baking is the best. I continued to use a very low heat stirred the chocolate in the butter and sugar for a long time. I do not trust quick melts and would rather take the time to do it slow and steady for a silky finish. I can be obsessive about this but once you ruin a chocolate melt you might as well start over.
    • I slightly beat each egg before adding them so I didn’t have to break up the yolk in the batter.
    • Definitely let the mixture cool considerably before incorporating the eggs! This was not stated in the recipe (just “remove from heat”) and I actually had some egg cook slightly as I was mixing them in – NOT cool!
    • I baked at 350 (not one degree higher) for just under 30 mins. I started checking at 25 mins and they were still too lose in the middle. Once the edges started to really crisp I called it and pulled them out. I knew all that butter would burn and burn quickly!

22. EJ says

I for got to note that I stared with 2 sticks of butter so everything was measured out to 2 1/3 what the recipe called for. I had a little more volume so it had to cook a little longer.

23. annie says

These brownies are the best brownies I have ever eaten. I made them for a friend who is gluten free, but now just make them for everyone.

24. Sam says

Followed this recipe exactly how it’s written and added some chopped up pecans. Was not expecting it to be as good as regular brownies but WOW. Texture is exactly like a regular brownie…. The flavour is so good too. I was worried they wouldn’t be chocolatey enough but they are. Thank you!!!

25. Grover says

There are no words to describe how good these brownies are! My 9 year old loves to bake and needed a gluten free option for his class and this recipe is perfect. We followed all the directions except we were out of coco powder (it wasn’t missed). We also have a special metal brownie pan and the cooked perfectly in our toaster oven for 22min. Thanks for the awesome recipe.

26. Davi a says

These brownies were a disaster.
    Instead of butter, I used organic virgin coconut oil at room temperature. I had the heat on low. However, I only had coarse salt, and I didn’t want to be tasting salt in my brownies. I added the 1/4 tsp salt, and hoped that it would dissolve in the coconut oil. It didn’t. I added the sugar, and stirred, and this was all on low heat, but I know from cooking caramel popcorn, that you want to make sure your sugar cooks, so that you don’t have grainy caramel. I cooked this a bit on medium heat, constantly stirring, but then noticed that the sugar was starting to harden, and didn’t have its good qualities anymore. It did puff up slightly though. I figured I’d better take it off the heat, which I did. I added the chopped bar of baker’s dark chocolate, and stirred, and the chocolate melted. It looked glossy, with little chunks of hard sugar bits throughout, which I tried to crush with a spoon. This was still off heat. I then added the two eggs, just cracked them into the pot, and stirred, but then the eggs coagulated. I figured, ok, so I added the cocoa powder and tapioca starch (instead of corn starch), and stirred some more. I made the further mistake of adding 3 more tablespoons of coconut oil, to try and smooth things out, because right now I didn’t have a smooth mix. It was all thick now because of the eggs. I added some chopped pecans and my vanilla extract, and combined it, then put it on my aluminum-foil lined pan that I greased with coconut oil, and ended up baking it for about twice as long as it said. The result was brownie that didn’t really taste all that great, still has bits of salt in it here and there, and is more like a crumb thing rather than a coherent texture. The pecans cheer me up though. I think you need to add a few more notes. I don’t think the salt is really all that necessary. Perhaps it MUST be added at the end, if it’s added at all. How does coarse salt even dissolve in the chocolate? Plus, even though I had my pot off the heat for most of the time, it was too much heat for the eggs. They’ll coagulate. I could probably understand whipping up the chocolate sauce with tapioca starch in it for a couple of minutes, but yeah, a note about the heat really has to be in there. I got kind of bummed out about this recipe. I like that it’s mostly baker’s chocolate, though. recipe may be good, not sure, but definitely needs more notes

• Sha says

I don’t think salt can dissolve in hot oil without any water. Butter has some water content hence you can dissolve salt or sugar by adding them to melted hot butter.
      I don’t think it is fair for you to blame the recipe or its owner when you didn’t achieve the desired result after not following the recipe as indicated.

27. Sheelahdog says

I used 1 to 2 tablespoons of peanut butter instead of the cornstarch since we are grainfree. Also, I melted the butter and chocolate for a minute in the microwave and added all ingredients in the same bowl with the eggs last- by that time everything was cool enough. They turned out great – thick and fudge after only 18-20 minutes in oven

28. Susi Paton says

Hi, I am from Scotland and have just made these tasty brownies, First I had to “translate”, tablespoons and cups of to grammes and temp to centigrade.
    I melted the ingredients in a pot over a pan of hot water as dont like whisking in non stick pan. I also used dark chocolate with orange bits in it which gave a lovely tang, also added sour dried cherries. Orange peel and cinnamon would be good for Christmas brownies too. They turned out really well for my gluten free friends.
    Thank you.

29. Jennilon Vaughn says

I did not use semi sweet chocolate but instead used dark chocolate. I also used corn starch instead of arrowroot powder. To my dismay, my brownies did not turn out like the picture. Mine is crumbly, the coconut oil was flooding the top of my brownies. The oil receded as it sat for 15 minutes after the baking time. I was looking forward to sinking my teeth into a moist brownie with a crispy top. I will try again.

30. Bea says

I just made these for the first time and they turned out okay. They did not set up in the middle as much as I would have liked. My oven is a pretty fast cooking oven and I usually have to bake things for a shorter amount of time. With these I had to bake them for about 45 minutes and the middle was still not as firm and the toothpick was not quite clean when I tested the middle. I did not want them to burn or be hard so I pulled them out after baking for 45 minutes. I let them cool for 45 minutes after baking and they did become more firm. Next time I bake these I’m going to try a metal pan and bump the oven up a bit to get them more dry in the middle before taking them out. I used a glass baking dish lined in foil. As every oven cooks differently, I think it’s just trial and error to get them perfect. My family ate them and didn’t complain even though the middle was a little softer than normal. So, I’m happy with the results and just need to play around with the cook time and pan type. Thanks for the recipe. I like that I didn’t have to use bean curds, coconut oil, or some other strange ingredients.

31. Joanne says

Hi there,

This recipe sounds amazing! I would love to make this with some Nutella and was wondering how to add/substitute this into the recipe. Should I use it in place of butter and just reduce the amount of butter by the amount of Nutella?

Thanks,
    Joanne

• says

Hmmm, good question! I was just thinking about doing a version with peanut butter and was looking all over for ideas on how to substitute it. I would actually probably reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup and add 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup of Nutella. Just an idea… I haven’t tried it so I can’t really say for sure. Please let me know if you do!

32. Jessica says

How do you get the sugar to melt in the butter? Mine never dissolved. I was afraid to turn the heat up to medium because I thought it would burn. I googled it and people were saying that sugar can’t dissolve in butter because of the high fat content :/

• says

It doesn’t actually melt, but it does dissolve. It will still be slightly gritty just like any other brownie recipe that requires the same method. Hope that helps!

33. Cyn says

Thanks for this recipe! I made a few slight variations and they came out fabulous: First, I added two additional egg whites to the recipe, which I beat separately until stiff and folded into the chocolate mixture. This gave the brownies a bit more volume. Second, I used unsweetened chocolate in lieu of semi-sweet chocolate. This made the brownies less sweet overall, and I added a bit more sugar to taste, but it gave me more control over the amount of sugar. I also baked them in a pan lined with parchment paper, which was a great way to have them not stick to anything.

34. Cathy says

I just made these with my kids. I recently developed a wheat allergy so I need new recipes! I used a sugar substitute and had no chocolate chips on hand so I melted some peanut butter to add to the mixture. They turned out great! Very good! Next time I will use sugar free choc chips for the chocolate version. Thanks!

35. Christine says

Just made these with 1/2 butter and 1/2 coconut oil. Also, I used chocolate chips and swirled 100% natural peanut butter into the batter. Yummy. They are a hit. Thanks for the recipe.

36. Deborah says

I never leave comments on recipe sites but I have to say thank you for this great recipe. I have been baking gluten free for a few years now and this is the best brownie recipe by far that I’ve tried. They turned out so moist and chewy and my kids loved them.

37. Caleeline says

These were fantastic. I might try adding a bit of espresso powder next time but, really, it would be difficult to improve on these.

38. Sonya says

Wonderful! I used coconut oil instead of butter and honey instead of sugar….they are so good. Even my chocolate loving husband and son just love them. Thanks for sharing!

39. Bethany says

Mine are in the oven now, I used 2 (very) ripe bananas instead of the eggs, I also stupidly thought the tapioca I had was cornstarch, so I didn’t have any cornstarch. I have replaced with rice flour.

I will comment on how these go, but they already look amazing.

40. Vera says

I tried the recipe and it turned out great. However, how do I make the top more crunchy or more cracked like regular brownies?

41. LD says

Omg it is so nice to find a recipe that is gluten free that actually tastes and has the same texture as a flour baked brownie! I almost shed a tear while I was eating them. My boyfriend isn’t happy that he has to share these with me! Ha ha! I never comment on recipe pages but this deserved a 5 star mention. Great job!

Only changes I made is I cut back on the sugar and I put 2 tbsp of cocoa powder, as I prefer a dark chocolate taste!

42. says

WARNING–Do not make these brownies if you are alone! They are too delicious and too tempting! I made and am serving them to company tonight. Otherwise I might have to eat them all myself. Yum, yum!

43. Bailey says

Made these with a healthy scoop of peanut butter. So good! They killed my brownie craving for sure.

44. Sha says

Thanks Natalie for this recipe. I stumblef upon your blog yesterday and knew I had to try this ASAP. So happen I had all ingredients on hand so at 10pm I started my quest in baking this fudgy lil thingy.

I did sub out the sugar as my body cannot tolerate sugar well, I get severe breakouts on my face from consuming sugar. So I subbed 1tsp Trelefia (sp?), I believe a blend of stevia and monk fruit for the sugar and used 64% dark chocolate buttons. I had initially wanting to go the unsweetened chocolate route but since unsweetened chocolate is hard to come by in my neck of woods and this was my first time trying this recipe, I’m keeping the unsweetened bar for my next brownies batch should this recipe became a keeper.

After keeping it overnight and chilled, I was happy to cut and taste my shiny topped fudgy brownies and oh my….they.are.freaking.amazing.

Had to practice some self restrain and stop at 2 bars as the chocolate still has somewhat high content of sugar as to prevent my skin from breaking out. Luckily I have kids who adored these brownies as well.

Thanks Natalie! Good sharing.

45. Odaybea says

Best brownies ever! Each time I make them, that is the response I get (from both gluten free and gluten eating brownie connoisseurs). I do reduce the sugar by 1/4 cup and they remain plenty sweet. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

46. Suzy says

I made these today and followed the recipe exactly. They came out absolutely perfectly and I will be making again and again. Thank you for the recipe. Fudgy rich and delicious!

47. Joanne says

I would like to make a double batch of these to take to a cast party. Have you tried making a double batch in one 9×13 pan? That’s what I usually do with brownies, but I didn’t know if these would be different.

• says

I had this happen once when I made a flourless cake, and I’m not exactly sure what went wrong, but it definitely separated. They should have the same texture as a normal brownie!

• says

I haven’t tried these with either, so I can’t really say. I know a few readers have used coconut oil with success, but I’m not sure about maple syrup.

48. Kelly says

I thought maybe I could shed some light on the batches that didn’t turn out because I had one myself. For some reason when reading the recipe I thought the butter amount was 6 oz (waaay more than 6 tbsp) which is what I used the first time and ended up with a roiling mess (no way will it go to waste though it would be great over ice cream!) Now I’m on my second attempt which looks like it should although I forgot to grease the pan this time! Ugh! 😩 Oh – and I added 1 tsp of instant espresso to deepen the chocolate flavor.

49. says

My family and I absolutely LOVE these brownies! I’ve tried other gluten free brownies and your recipe is by far the best! I just read some of the other comments and I think I will try the coconut oil for butter next time for fun, just to see how it works. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!

50. Beth says

I followed this recipe EXACTLY, no substitutions, and yet the brownies did not turn out quite right for me. Like SEVERAL others have mentioned, I had the issue with the “batter” bubbling/boiling in the oven and not appearing “done” at all–it looked NOTHING like a normal brownie batter while baking! At 22 minutes, it was totally bubbly but seemed like it might be starting to solidify in the center. I gave the brownies another 8 minutes (30 total), and they were EVEN MORE bubbly in the center! However, I didn’t feel like I could leave them any longer, as the edges seemed to be starting to get overcooked.

After cooling in the refrigerator, the brownies did firm up some, yet they were still somewhat overly fudgy/undercooked. Also, the tops were oddly porous, as if the sugar had floated up and settled there–again, not at all like a normal brownie with a more cake-like (yet still fudgy) texture and slightly crisp cracked top. When I sliced the brownies (which was difficult b/c of the underdoneness), they seemed to taste okay, although VERY sweet–and I have a sweet tooth! I am hoping that they will firm up more after being refrigerated overnight. However, overall, I am disappointed, especially given that I had made these for a friend, and they do not quite seem “gift” quality to me. I will look for a different GF brownie recipe next time.