Mom’s Oven Baked Beans
With the 4th of July just days away, I thought I’d share one of my favorite summer recipes! It’s my mom’s oven baked beans, and boy are they gooood! They’re super easy to prep and the rest is done in the oven.
I don’t know about you, but there are definitely certain things I love eating during the summer. For me it’s fresh fruit, grilled meat & veggies, macaroni salad, potato salad and baked beans!
My mom’s beans are something we grew up eating a lot, usually hot but sometimes cold (she’d pack up a container and we’d take it with us on the lake). I always looked forward to a big serving of them.
Speaking of serving size, this recipe yields a big bowl of beans! I’m talking it could easily feed 8-12 people. For our little family that’s quite a bit, but hey, the more leftovers the merrier :) We always make a full batch and eat them as a side with dinner for the rest of the week… and it’s always a good idea! If you want to scale it down a bit just check out the NOTES at the bottom of the recipe, ’cause I’ve got you covered!
I hope you’ll give this simple yet delicious recipe for oven baked beans a try. They’re a perfect summer side dish!
- 4-5 strips bacon
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 1 (53 oz.) can pork & beans
- ¼ c. Heinz Chili Sauce or your favorite BBQ sauce
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp. Remove and set on a paper towel lined plate.
- In a large Dutch-oven or casserole dish, add the diced bell pepper and onion along with the pork & beans, chili sauce (or BBQ sauce), brown sugar and pepper. Crumble the bacon over top, then stir to combine. Place in the oven and bake for 1½ - 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The longer you cook the beans, the thicker they'll get. Do know that as they cool they'll thicken too. Remove from the oven, stir then let cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple family recipe