Oooey Gooey, and Cheesy is precisely what you get with this Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole recipe!
Hash browns are a staple when it comes to breakfast foods. If you need more hash brown recipes in your life then you have to check out my Hash Brown Egg Cups, Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos, and even How To Make Hash Browns!
This recipe is a family favorite in our house. Hash browns smothered in lots of cheese, is there anything better? What I love about this recipe is it is so easy to put together and once everything is in the pan, the oven does all the work. Then after 45 minutes you have a scrumptious breakfast dish.
Now, just because this recipe has hash browns doesn’t mean you have to serve it for breakfast. This dish also makes a perfect side dish for your Holiday meals. I know I have made it a number of times for family gatherings because there are a lot of servings and everyone loves it!
How to make Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
Assemble your ingredients. For exact amounts see the recipe card below.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and coat a 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, saving ½ cup of cheddar cheese on the side for topping.
Place in your prepared dish and bake for 40 minutes.
After 40 minutes remove from the oven and stir all ingredients around in the pan, then top with the reserved cheddar cheese and bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
Remove from the oven to cool add optional chives for garnish and then serve and enjoy!
Do I have to use frozen potatoes?
Not at all! If you would prefer to shred fresh potatoes you absolutely can do so!
Can I use a different cheese?
Cheddar is my favorite for this recipe! If you want more of a twang then you can use sharp cheddar. But overall any shredded cheese will work for this dish!
Can this Cheesy hash brown casserole be made ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can put it together and store it in the fridge overnight or store it in the freezer for a week.
Can I add in a protein?
Why not? If you are wanting some protein added to this casserole, I would recommend mixing in some cooked breakfast sausage or crumbled up bacon for an extra element!
You can store this recipe in an airtight container in your fridge for 3-5 days or in your freezer for up to 2 weeks. If you are wanting to freeze this dish you can do so after baking as mentioned but I recommend you freeze before baking. Then when you are ready to serve, take it out to thaw to room temperature, then pop it in the oven to cook and after it’ll be ready to serve!
Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe
- 30 oz frozen shredded hash browns - defrosted
- 1/2 cup butter - melted
- 10 oz cream of chicken soup
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1/2 cup white onion - finely diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese - shredded
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- chives - optional garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and coat a 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, saving ½ cup of cheddar cheese on the side for topping.
- Place in your prepared dish and bake for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes remove from the oven and stir all ingredients around in the pan, then top with the reserved cheddar cheese and bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven to cool, add optional chives as garnish and then serve and enjoy!