Blueberry Almond Cream Cheese Danish
It’s time to take brunch to the next level with these sweet blueberry almond cream cheese danish!!
It’s officially brunch season. Is that even a thing? It is is food blog world. Spring/Easter/Mother’s Day means lots of delicious fruity breakfast recipes, like this flaky, sweet pastry. It’s a cinch to make but looks like you spent all morning whipping it up. My kind of treat!!
The base is made from puff pastry. I’ve only used it a few times (at work), but you know what, I kind of love it! It’s just a matter of taking it out of the freezer, letting it thaw, then cutting it into individual servings or in this case, rectangles. Magic ✨
Next, you need to beat the cream cheese mixture. It’s sort of like a light lemony cheesecake filling. Mmm. Blueberries, lemon and almonds are the perfect combo! Make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature, because you don’t want to over-beat everything or it’ll rise/expand too much. Spread the filling in the center of each piece of puff pastry, then top with fresh (or frozen) blueberries, brush the edges with egg wash and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Chop a handful of lightly salted almonds (Blue Diamond are my favorite), and gently press into the baked cream cheese mixture.
In a small bowl mix up the glaze and drizzle over top. Trust me, you’ll want to glaze these babies. It makes them ????????????
Serve warm and enjoy every. last. bite! They’re dangerously good. But light and sweet without being overly sugary. The crunchy almonds help balance everything out, which is why I think lightly salted is a must!
If you’re looking for a sweet treat to make for brunch, you’ve gotta give these a try! They only take 30 minutes to make and taste like they came straight from a bakery! They’re flaky, sweet, crunchy and absolutely delicious. Enjoy ????
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 8 ounces (1 block) cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tsp. lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. kosher sea salt
- ¾ c. fresh (or frozen) blueberries
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp. milk or cream, lightly beaten
- ⅓ c. Lightly Salted Blue Diamond Almonds, chopped
- For the glaze:
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- ⅓ c. powdered sugar
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat; set aside.
- Let the puff pastry thaw, then cut into 6 rectangles.
- Using a knife, score a ½-inch border around the edge of each piece. Prick inside the border with a fork, several times.
- In medium size mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Using a hand mixer beat just until smooth and creamy. Spoon 3 heaping tablespoons into the middle of each piece of dough (inside the border) and spread into an even layer. Press blueberries into the cream cheese mixture.
- Brush the edges (or border) of the puff pastry with the egg wash. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, place in the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and top with chopped almonds, pressing gently into the cream cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients for the glaze and whisk vigorously to combine. Drizzle with a spoon or pastry bag over the tops of each danish in a zig-zag pattern.
Recipe source: Life Made Simple
This post is sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds, all opinions are my own. Thank you for helping me work with brands I love!