Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes
These cheesy broccoli stuffed potatoes are a delicious hearty side dish. They’re perfect for weeknight dinners or special occasions!
It’s been over a month since I’ve posted something savory, so today I’m changing that! I don’t know about you, but we don’t eat baked potatoes very often. Usually I make twice baked potatoes for holidays but other than that, we’re pasta/rice people. These potatoes have been a total game-changer. They’re loosely based off of a Jason’s Deli menu item that I fell in love with in college, and boy are they good!
You’ll start by baking 4 large russet potatoes (note: pictured above I did a double recipe, so there are more than 4 potatoes shown). I like to rub mine with a little avocado oil (you can use canola or vegetable too), season them with kosher sea salt, and then prick the tops with a fork. After about 1 hour 15 minutes later, the potatoes should be fork tender. Remove them and let them cool while you make the sauce.
Now, if you know anything about me, you know I love kitchen hacks. Instead of steaming the broccoli on the stovetop, I use handy steamer bags in my microwave (I can always find them at big box stores or online). It’s soooo easy and it comes out perfect every time. So that’s what I did for this particular recipe. While the sauce was simmering I popped the bag into the microwave and 3 minutes later I had perfectly steamed broccoli.
Ok, back to the sauce. It’s a simple butter/flour/milk sauce. I seasoned it with a blend of spices, then let it thicken. All that was left to do was remove it from the heat, stir in the cheese, and then the broccoli.
To serve the potatoes, you can either scoop them out entirely and fold the potatoes and cheesy broccoli sauce together, or you can cut off the top, score the inside, scoop out a tablespoon or two of potato, fill it and then put everything back on top. It’s totally up to you/how you plan to serve them. We’ve made these cheesy broccoli stuffed potatoes several times and they’re always a hit- especially when they’re topped with bacon crumbles!
Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil or avocado oil
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
For Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. kosher sea salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- 1 c. grated medium cheddar cheese
- 2 c. steamed broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or a baking mat, set aside.
- Place scrubbed, dried potatoes on the baking sheet. Rub each with oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and prick with a fork three times on each top. Bake for 1 hour or until fork tender (this could take up to 1 hour 15 minutes). Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan set over medium heat, add the butter. When the butter has melted, whisk in the flour, cook for 1 minute. Slowly add milk, whisking to create a smooth sauce. Bring mixture to a low simmer.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, then broccoli.
- Remove top of potatoes, then score the inside and remove about 2 tablespoons of potatoes (you can spoon it onto the tops and serve it with it), scoop a generous amount of the sauce inside of each potato. Return the reserved potato and top back. Serve immediately.