A simple yet Perfect Pot Roast with carrots, potatoes, onions, fresh herbs and roasted garlic. It’s tender, flavorful and requires just one pot!
It’s as classic as spaghetti or chicken stroganoff, but today’s chuck roast is a family favorite! It’s filled with veggies, is hearty and is perfect for dinner any night. Plus, it’s all made in one pot!
Favorite One-Pot Meal
Today I’m sharing our go-to recipe for pot roast. It’s a little more involved, but I promise it tastes AMAZING!!
I’ve been meaning to post this for a few years now, but kept forgetting I hadn’t shared it with you only because we make it all the time.
With veggies all around and so much flavor, this pot roast has been made for so many Sunday dinners, family get togethers and holiday meals. It really is a classic, loved by all and great to feed several people.
I really hope you guys love this roast as much as we do, because it’s a perfect one-pot meal that can be enjoyed all year long (our favorite – in fact!)
How to Make Pot Roast
Are you ready to get started?
ROAST. Grab a large Dutch-oven and place it over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. While the oil is getting nice and hot, generously salt and pepper both sides of the chuck roast. Add the roast to the pot and brown both sides, about 5 minutes on each side. Make sure to be patient during this step, only flip it once. Transfer the roast to a plate and move onto the vegetables.
VEGGIES + SAUCE. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of the oil to the pot. Add the carrots, onion and potatoes. Cook the vegetables until they begin to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the beef broth, water, balsamic vinegar (its my secret ingredient), Worcestershire sauce, roasted garlic (highly recommend using it, but raw garlic will do too), thyme and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
SIMMER + ROAST. Return the roast to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and transfer it to the oven to roast for 3 ½ hours or until fork-tender. That may seem like a long time but trust me, it will fall apart the second you take a for to it!
REST. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley and a few more pinches of salt and pepper.
Tips + Notes
Roast is great for leftovers. TO STORE, place in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This meat also great to FREEZE and reheat. Just place in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. To thaw, place in the fridge overnight and reheat or use it in some of your favorite recipes, like:
Having leftover roast is great for so many recipes so the possibilities are endless.
For more beef recipes, check out:
Perfect Pot Roast Recipe
- 4 lb boneless chuck roast - marbled
- kosher sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil - divided
- 4 large carrots - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 lb small red potatoes - or gold potatoes
- 1 yellow onion - chopped
- 3 cup beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cloves roasted garlic - minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme - stems removed
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley - chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large Dutch-oven set over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Meanwhile, generously salt and pepper both sides of the chuck roast. When the oil is hot, add the roast and brown both sides, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the roast to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of the oil to the pot. Add the carrots, onion and potatoes. Cook the vegetables until they begin to brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add the beef broth, water, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, roasted garlic, thyme and a few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Return the roast to the pot and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven to roast for 3½ hours or until fork-tender.
- Transfer the roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
I have made this many times, and I just think it’s a great recipe. Delicious and easy to make.