Roasted Salsa Verde
This roasted salsa verde is easy and delicious! It only requires a few simple ingredients and takes just 20 minutes to make!
I’ve always wanted to make homemade salsa verde. About a year ago we took dinner to some friends who just had a baby, they brought the dishes back with two homemade dips: fry sauce and salsa verde. They were both amazing (just like this dish they made for us)! I finally got around to making some a few weeks ago and it was a huge hit. We served it with a big bag of chips and drizzled it on top of chicken tacos. YUM!
Salsa verde can either be raw or roasted. Raw is great, but there’s something about roasted salsa that I love! Grab about 10 medium tomatillos, husk them and wash them off. They’ll be a little sticky, that’s ok. Line a baking sheet with foil and pop the tomatillos on it, along with a jalapeño, and garlic. Broil them until they start to brown.
Toss the broiled veggies in a food processor along with the remaining ingredients in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Don’t go too wild or you’ll end up with salsa verde that looks more like applesauce.
Season to taste with additional salt and lime juice, then dig in! P.S. if you want a spicier salsa, you can always swap out the jalapeño for a serrano pepper. We stuck with a jalapeño and so the kids could still enjoy it ;)
There you have it. Easy, flavorful and delicious on just about anything! This roasted salsa verde would be a great addition to your Cinco de Mayo spread!
Roasted Salsa Verde
- 10 medium tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1 jalapeño pepper (or 1 serrano for spicier salsa)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 1/4 c. cilantro
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 3/4 - 1 tsp. kosher sea salt (depending on personal taste)
- 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Turn broiler on high. Place the tomatillos on a lined baking sheet along with the jalapeño pepper and garlic. Broil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Place the roasted veggies in a food processor along with the onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and sugar. Pulse until finely chopped. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until needed.