Delicious and easy restaurant style black beans. These beans are loaded with flavor and are perfect alongside ANY Mexican entree!
Best Mexican Black Beans
We LOVE Mexican food in our house. This is not simply a Cinco de Mayo adventure. We eat Mexican food one or two times a week!
So, I thought it would be appropriate to share one of my favorite Mexican inspired side dishes. This is one recipe I make time and time again. It is just that good! It’s been years since I first developed this dish, and we still love it! It took quite a while for me to get the seasonings right, but once it did, we never looked back.
Black beans are also a healthy option to throw into your diet, they are high in potassium, fiber, and B6 and even help lower cholesterol. Tasty and healthy, a win win.
How to Make Mexican Black Beans
To start, you’ll need two cans of low-sodium black beans. Yes, we’re using canned beans, just trust me. You’ll also need low-sodium chicken broth, a can of diced hatch chilies (medium, mild or hot), red onion, fresh chopped cilantro, garlic and a handful of pantry staple spices.
- Heat olive oil on medium-low in a heavy bottom saucepan
- When oil is hot add onions and cook until soft (2-3 minutes)
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Add green chilies, chicken broth, UN-drained black beans, chopped fresh cilantro and all spices
- Bring to a rapid simmer at medium-high heat
- Reduce to medium-low, cover and cook for 30 minutes
- Stir at 15 minute mark
- May cook for up to an hour
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving bowl
- Garnish with additional cilantro and queso fresco (optional)
More Cooking Methods
Slow cooker: You can cook in a slow cooker for 3-4 hours on high, or on low for 6-8 hours
Instant Pot: Follow our black bean instant pot recipe here.
Storing, Pairing Options + Uses
Reheating / Storing: Store black beans in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week. Reheat this dish in the microwave, you might want to add a bit of water to give a little moisture back to it.
What to pair with black beans? Here are a few ideas other than with tortillas or in burritos, enchiladas or tacos…
These beans are always the first thing to disappear at the dinner table, seriously! Kids and adults alike absolutely love them- I think you will too! Enjoy 🙂
For more recipes, check out:
Mexican Black Beans Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion - finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles - mild, medium or hot
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15.5 oz) cans low-sodium black beans - un-drained and unrinsed
- 1/2 tsp kosher sea salt - or ¼ tsp. if the black beans are not low-sodium
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro - chopped
- 2 tbsp crumbled queso fresco - optional
- In a medium heavy bottom saucepan set over medium-low heat, add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the green chilies, chicken broth, black beans (undrained and unrinsed), salt, chili powder, coriander, cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, and cilantro. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a rapid simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 30 minutes (or up to an hour), stirring at the 15 minute mark.
- Remove from the heat, transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with additional cilantro and queso fresco, if desired.
- Don't want to use black beans? Pinto beans work well too!