Insanely Good Chicken Lasagna
This insanely good chicken lasagna has layers of extra cheesy mushroom, spinach and chicken filling. Even the pickiest of eaters will LOVE this dish!
I’m a sucker for good lasagna, especially when I’m not the one making it. I know that sounds odd, but lasagna can be time consuming for a busy mom, it also ends up making waaaay too much for our family of four. That’s why I LOVE this recipe. It makes the perfect amount, can be prepped in less than 25 minutes, and it tastes amazing. Picky eaters will devour it and the leftovers will disappear (if there are any)! This unique yet flavorful lasagna has quickly become a family favorite.
My husband was a little skeptical about this dish when I made it for our family a few months ago. Chicken in lasagna? With red sauce? I know, it sounds like an odd combo, but it’s delish! Plus our kids really loved that it didn’t have ground sausage or beef. Instead it was filled with shredded rotisserie chicken, chopped spinach, chopped mushrooms, and FOUR kinds of cheese. That’s right!! I’m pretty sure the amount of cheese is what really sealed the deal.
You sauté the veggies in a skillet so they’re nice and soft, then you combine all of the filling ingredients together. All that’s left to do is layer it in a baking dish. To make the lasagna extra tender, I like to cover it with foil and bake it for 30 minutes, then uncover it and bake it for 15 minutes so it can get a little crispy on top. It’s just a little trick I’ve learned with most casseroles or cheesy dishes.
Let it rest at room temperature for a good 10 minutes before you plan on serving it. You want the juices to set a bit and everything to thicken up, that way you don’t end up with a soupy mess. It’ll make cutting & serving it 100x easier. If you’re feeling fancy you can garnish it with some freshly chopped parsley (or parsley flakes), but don’t feel like you have to go out of your way to buy it just for this dish. Serve it with some garlic bread or fluffy dinner rolls and a side salad. You’ll have everyone requesting this meal week in and week out! Enjoy :)
Insanely Good Chicken Lasagna
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. cremini mushrooms, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 c. diced yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 c. raw spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 oz. (1/2 a block) original cream cheese
- 2/3 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 c. grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese
- 2 c. shredded chicken (rotisserie works great)
- 9 uncooked no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 (26 oz.) jar pasta sauce*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x6-inch or 9x9-inch baking dish with baking spray, set aside.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the stovetop and allow to cool for 5 minutes, then combine with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, spinach, cream cheese, ricotta, 1 cup of mozzarella, 3 tablespoons of parmesan, and the chicken. Mix until combined.
- Spread 1/4 of pasta sauce in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover with a layer of noodles, 1/4 of the sauce, then half of the filling. Top with another layer of noodles, 1/4 of the sauce then the remaining chicken mixture. Add a final layer of noodles and sauce, then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and parmesan over top.
- Cover with foil and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley, if desired.
- You can use homemade sauce (about 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups) or your favorite store-bought sauce. We use a locally made organic sauce that is excellent!