This Lasagna Soup recipe makes a soup with the great taste of lasagna in less time with some zucchini added in for added flavor and texture.
So I’ve been making a lot of soups and hot dishes lately. I blame it on the cooler weather we’re having here, but regardless, they’ve all been really tasty.
I started by making lasagna soup, then my three bean chili, I moved on to butternut squash risotto, and then finally stopped with a butternut squash soup.
The reason why I love this lasagna soup so much I that it has the same great taste of lasagna, but without the time, effort and mess that goes into it. If you’re not a fan of zucchini or squash, you can simply omit those two ingredients, I just always add extra veggies where I can.
Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb ground beef
- 1/4 lb Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion - chopped
- 1 large carrot - grated
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini - sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz lasagna noodles - broken, or fusilli pasta
- handful spinach - chopped
For the Cheesy Filling
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese - grated
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/8 tsp kosher sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage or ground beef, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and carrot, cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and stir to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns brown in color.
- Add the diced tomatoes, zucchini, bay leaves, and chicken stock, stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Add pasta and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 20-25 minutes. During the last few minutes, toss in the spinach and wilt.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the mozzarella, ricotta, Parmesan, milk, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, place a ladle full of pasta in each bowl, then a dollop of the cheesy filling- sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese. Enjoy!