This easy chickpea curry is simmered in cozy, aromatic Indian spices. This hearty dish is ready and on the table in 40 minutes.
Chickpea Curry makes a delicious side or main dish and can easily be made vegetarian or vegan by swapping out chicken broth for vegetable broth. For more flavorful curries try Yellow Coconut Chicken Curry, Thai Red Curry, or Sweet Potato Coconut Curry.
Simple & Flavorful Curry
This simple curry is a hearty and satisfying entrée or side that has a cook time of under 30 minutes, making for a perfect summer dish that will not heat your kitchen. It is flavorful and aromatic.
It highlights chickpeas as the protein and makes a great meatless Monday dish! Chickpeas are also a great source of vitamins, mineral and fiber and offer a variety of health benefits, such as improving digestion, aiding weight management and reducing the risk of several diseases.
This is the creamiest, easiest, summer Chickpea Curry with rice and is sure to be a dinner-time favorite!
Coconut milk: Coconut milk really gives the creaminess and thickness to the curry that makes this dish irresistible. It also dulls down the spice level a little bit.
- Coconut cream? Coconut cream is much thicker than the normal texture of milk, so I would advise against using coconut cream just because it would totally mess up your curry’s overall texture. If it is all you have then you might want to try thinning it out with some water, or even better coconut water.
Chickpeas: You should drain and rinse the chickpeas before you incorporate them into the curry.
- Dried chickpeas? To make this with dried chickpeas you need to soak your chickpeas overnight and then boil them until they are soft. At this point you can substitute them for the canned version.
What kind of rice do you serve with curry? Basmati rice or normal long grain rice would work, basmati rice is just more traditional for curry recipes. Basmati rice is considered to be a softer grain than other rice types.
How to Make Chickpea Curry
SAUTE. In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds
COOK. Add carrots and chickpeas, cook for 3 minutes. Add curry powder and curry paste. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant
SIMMER. Whisk in chicken broth, sugar, and fish sauce. Gently simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, then stir in coconut milk and spinach. Cook for 8 minutes or until spinach is wilted
SERVE. Remove from heat and serve with rice
More Cooking Instructions
Slow Cooker Instructions
Pour your blended sauce (all the spices, coconut milk, onion, garlic etc), chickpeas, and vegetables into your slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally so that veggies don’t get stuck on the bottom of the pot. Once your sweet potatoes are soft, the curry is done.
Instant Pot Instructions
To make this in the instant pot you need to sauté your veggies like garlic and onion together before adding your stock to it. Then add your coconut milk and chickpeas. Cook it on high pressure for about 6 minutes before letting it naturally release for 10 minutes.
Tips, Variations, & Storing
- Make it vegan: Make this recipe vegan by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Potatoes/Sweet Potatoes: add potatoes and cook until they are soft. The potatoes will soak up all the delicious curry flavors and give another texture element.
Spice level? If you would like more spice in your curry you can add red chili flakes, more curry powder etc. If you would like less spice you can decrease those spices, or you can add more coconut milk to your recipe. We always recommend taste testing as you go so that you get the exact flavor profile you are after.
Storing/Freezing: This should last about 4-5 days in the fridge and about 3 months in the freezer. Reheat it in the microwave until warmed through, or if you have more time, reheat it on the stovetop in a big pot, possibly with more coconut milk to thin it out.
For more curry recipes, try:
Chickpea Curry Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 3 carrots - cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 1 (14oz) can chickpeas - rinsed
- 3 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp red curry paste
- 3 c low sodium chicken broth - add more if needed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar - or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp fish sauce - optional
- 1 (14oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 c fresh spinach
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds
- Add carrots and chickpeas, cook for 3 minutes. Add curry powder and curry paste. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant
- Whisk in chicken broth, sugar, and fish sauce. Gently simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, then stir in coconut milk and spinach. Cook for 8 minutes or until spinach is wilted
- Remove from heat and serve with rice