A simple, flavorful meal packed with protein and vegetables. This yellow coconut curry chicken is our go-to meal for busy weeknights or when we’re cleaning out the fridge!
Curry chicken bowls are always in our monthly meal rotation. Some of our favorite curry recipes include massaman curry, spicy sweet potato curry, and this yellow coconut curry chicken. They’re all easy dishes to prep/make. Plus curry is a great way to get our kids to try new veggies and bold flavors.
Curry is a great way to use up the odds and ends that you have left at the bottom of your veggie drawer or hidden in the back of your freezer. Everything comes together in a thick, golden sauce and it tastes heavenly.
This particular yellow curry includes potatoes, carrots and chicken. But you can add whatever veggies you want. What other vegetables go with coconut curry? We like…
- sweet potato
- celery root
Sometimes we like add chickpeas or chopped nuts for added protein. ?
HOW TO MAKE THAI COCONUT CURRY
Making curry chicken is simple! Sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant, cook the chicken until browned, then stir in potatoes and carrots.
Sprinkle the seasonings over top and add the red curry past along with the yellow curry powder.
FYI: this is NOT a spicy curry, at all. If you’re looking for a little heat add some chili oil or cayenne pepper.
COCONUT CURRY TIP: Toasting the seasonings will help develop the flavors in the curry. It’s a trick I use all of the time. You wouldn’t believe what a difference it makes!
Pour in the coconut milk (full-fat is recommended) along with the chicken broth (or vegetable broth), brown sugar, and fish sauce. Yes, I said fish sauce. A teaspoon gives this coconut curry sauce depth without being detectible, or even worse, overwhelming! We don’t do seafood over there. ??
Let the curry simmer for 20 minutes or until it thickens up and the vegetables and chicken are cooked through.
We love to serve this curry over rice. White rice or brown rice works well with this dish. If you’re trying to eat extra healthy I’d suggest serving it with cauliflower rice.
You can garnish it with chopped peanuts or cashews, cilantro or thai basil.
We love this chicken curry recipe because it’s simple, delicious and a meal the entire family enjoys. It’s a quick dinner recipe that requires minimal prep (always a win in my book)! Any leftovers reheat really well the next day, just add a few tablespoons of water to each serving to help thin it out.
What’s your favorite kind of curry? Red, yellow, green? Leave a comment below!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS CURRY RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Sweet Potato Coconut Curry
- Chickpea Curry Recipe
- Curried Chicken Noodle Soup
- Homemade Massaman Curry
- Overnight Curried Chicken with Brown Rice
Need more recipes? Subscribe to my email list! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there. You’ll receive posts, newsletters and so much more!
Yellow Coconut Curry Chicken Recipe
- 1 tbsp. oil - coocnut, olive, canola
- 1/2 yellow onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 lb. chicken breasts - cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 carrots - cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 russet potatoes - cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp. yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 c. low-sodium chicken broth - more if needed
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. fish sauce - optional
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken and brown, about 3 minutes per side. Add carrots and potatoes, cook until lightly browned. Stir in curry powder and curry pastes. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Whisk in coconut milk, broth, sugar, and fish sauce. Gently simmer (covered or uncovered) for 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice and garnish with cilantro, if desired.