Oh hey! I thought you guys might need another easy recipe… this one is so simple and flavorful, I absolutely love it! It only requires a few ingredients and can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes. Plus this creamy parmesan orzo goes perfectly with just about anything, especially my 30 minute skillet chicken caprese 🙂
I’m not sure about how your week has been going, but ours has been a little hectic. This side dish was exactly what we needed for dinner the other night. It took just 25 minutes to make… about the same time it took for our chicken to cook and vegetables to steam. So are you ready to get started?! Let’s do this!
While the orzo is boiling, you’ll want to prepare the cream sauce. In a large skillet set over medium heat two tablespoons of butter. When the butter has melted, add the minced garlic and shallot, cook until fragrant and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the flour, cook for about 1 minute, then gradually whisk in the milk. When the mixture thickens, toss in the parmesan and season with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Add the cooked orzo and garnish with fresh herbs. I used parsley but basil would be really good too!
Serve this orzo up with just about anything- it will be devoured within seconds! And the leftovers (if there are any), can be reheated and enjoyed with dinner the following day. Score!
Creamy Parmesan Orzo Recipe
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 shallot - minced
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk - I used whole
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley - chopped
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook orzo according to the package's directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet set over medium heat add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the garlic and shallot, cook until fragrant and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Whisk in flour, cook for 1 minute (whisking continuously). Slowly whisk in the milk, cook until slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan and season with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Add orzo and cook for an additional minute. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.